·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kev, too many "inuendo's" on what your planing for the next "rebuild"
WE WANT TO KNOW NOW:rant:

G

·
if you really want to know, i will tell you what the plans are.

almost ready, 99.9% firm ideas now coming to fruition..

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ooooooooooooooooooooooooh you tease:lol:
Just post a small photo of it and see if we guess:thumbs:

G

·
haven't said for sure yet incase i put a spanner in the works and things don't plan out

would rather wait for a week or so until its 100%, well before xmas :lol:

G

·
there's not really that much special about my plans really woody.
all the guessing is getting better ideas than the actual project!

the plan is this, very simple.

when i built VJM 5Y it was with the intention of doing a standard sud as near to original as possible. i achieved that pretty much but was left with a car that i didn't really have a use for, did all the shows etc which was great to meet most of you guys and let you see the car but didn't really end up being something that i wanted to do year on year.

always liked the idea of a 1.7 16V in the sud but would never fit it to VJM as that wouldn't fit into the remit of a standard car.

better brakes and suspension wouldn't hurt either, and more supportive seats.

as ade knows, i still have a hankering to get back out into motorsport having done rallying before getting married and having kids. fancied trying circuit racing too but like the rallying i just don't have the funds.
went to a track day at cadwell this year to see rich going round in his sud and it looke dlike fun. thought about getting another fiat coupe turbo or something to blats round in.

then it occured to me, why not combine all these elements.

my lad is now 13 too and into racing so is keen on doing them too.

so the build....

will be a sud, with a 1.7 16V. may be on carbs but if the budget allows then i would love to look into throttle bodies and an omex type management system. the set up on waynes sud was very impressive, never seen a sud run so smooth and so tractable.
will be a 2 seat only car, with roll cage.
not sure yet on whether to go outboard with the brakes so i can rig up some brembo's or similar front brakes, but that would need 16" wheels which may spoil the look as it will sit low and wide, wheel arch extensions will be either the universal fibre-glass type or crafted from steel like on berts' blue 4 door car.
may still use inboards as there may be an oportunity looming for a decent race set..
not sure if i will fit a full dashboard or just build a little pod, will see on that score. there's a lot of weight in a dash which isn't mostly needed.
shrew will be doing the exhaust (doesn't know it yet :p)
race seats etc...

any ideas are very welcome

·
Registered
650 Posts
Sounds good to me kev:thumbs: I think if you are going down the 16v route, i would be certainly looking at changing to out board discs, a bit more unsprung weight i know but they get hot! i get fade on mine if i push it hard (new calipers, discs pads and dot5 fluid) maybe its just the way i drive!!:lol:
The green sprint that rich has has got some nice out board discs with bells and four pots!! he has some drawings for them too i think the previous owner had them made! and it does stop well!!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Sounds like a good plan kev! If you are wanting a good sud to start with i am going to sell my s3 ti in the next few weeks if your interested but i guess you probably already have one lined up??

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Hi Kev.

Love your motorsport plan. Kept thinking about mentioning the rallying on Pt2 but didnt think it was appropriate.
Couple of suggestions / comments to add to the melting pot if you dont mind?
16V is no problem but I,d suggest a 1600 16V. You can still use all the 1.7 stuff just with a block skim and a 1.5 crank. Might be more competitive in the up to 1600 class than the up to 2000 if you do compete.
My upgraded inboard brakes dont give any fade and they take a lot of hammer.
You only need to be 14 to co drive.
I didnt bother fitting a dashboard just the instrument cluster. A 33 column has got some mounting points.

You know my car is basically a Sud in a 33 shell so if there is anything I can do to help give me a shout.
Good luck

rsfruitbat

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Stick with inboards & 13 inch wheels, this will healp your gearing, if you are desperate for brembo's they can be fitted inboard too... just look to Ferrari, Maserati etc etc to know inboards work :D

As for carbs.... I happen to have a spare matched pair of Delorto 40's sat on my dining room table ;)

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nice one Kev:thumbs:
As you said you've done the sud bit, don't forget the sprint though:thumbs:
It was always said the sprint had better handling as it was lower (must have an advantage on drag as well:cool:)
Bad side is you'll be up against sprint 68:cry:
Those sprints that steve parry has could be a very good start:) or there have been plenty on E bay lately that will need your welding skills.
I don't know much about the engine sizes in motorsport but maybe you could go for a 1.3 - I remember my ti used to be just as good as my brothers 1.5 and maybe you wouldn't be against those 1.6's:thumbs:
Iain knows a man that makes fibre glass panels - give him a PM
Good luck
Will you make it "road legal" - that would be FUN:cool:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts