Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WTF is wrong with BMWs these days , everyone that tried to give me a bit of a challenge recently got blown into the weeds. It really is so pathetic now that I'm having to give them a head start. I only set off in 2nd from the lights and limit myself to gears 2-4. Most pathetic of all are the 1 series bimmers. Next the ugly and pointles X6 which apart from looking like two dogs having it off, has all the characteristics of a tractor. M3s were always up for it but you just can't find a decent one these days. The fact most of the *****s now drive Audis has left me feeling so sorry for them I nearly let one out of a side road the other day....nearly. I've even started putting bargain petrol in.

So come on BMW get your act together before I get too old.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Another thing is that most beemers are rear traction, so allegedly they should give their drivers an undoubtful advantage in driving quality (provided they know how to use this advantage..). I really can't stand 1 Series drivers: their pretentious attitude is so silly.. This morning I had one of these ugly things attached to my back at a roundabout: the guy was revving his engine to draw my attention, so I deliberately started in second gear and slowly troddled around the roundabout :D
Once out of it I opened up a bit, and by the time I went from third to fourth he was a tiny spot on my rearview mirror :D he really thought he could put up a race with a Brera, bless him! :D
It must be said that their 0-60 acceleration is remarkable, and that's where Alfa should work a bit more I think (apart for the new little Mito 155hp!).

A.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I get 6.3-4 0-60 so can play with a lot of stuff (providing it's dry :lol:) It's particularly adept at doing Boxters:) which is most satisfying.

PS Hows it goin Gaz ?

·
Registered
42,278 Posts
Sorry to intrude, but my 1990 Thema Turbo 16v had performance like that. And was superbly reliable for fourteen years? Regular cambelt and balancer belts of course? :D Come on Lancia. Wherefore art thou today? :lol:

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Another thing is that most beemers are rear traction, so allegedly they should give their drivers an undoubtful advantage in driving quality (provided they know how to use this advantage..).
In straight line in the dry it's not much of an advantage unless you're really hooning it. And if you really hoon it and get the back out you get loads of posts about BMW drivers being irresponsible.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have you tried putting all 3 litres/24 valves through the front wheels in 1st... or 2nd.... or third for that matter in the wet/damp without respect. However 4wd Scoobies and Evos are toast over the first quarter at least, and pussies in bends in the dry:lol:

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Like I said - in the dry you'd need to be hooning it for it to make any difference.
If a BMW was hooning it in the wet, there would be even more negative posts than if it was in the dry!

·
Registered
25,672 Posts
There's a roundabout I go around every night, coming off it has a 2 lane dual carriageway up a hill and down again, in the GTA it's 2nd gear and boot it and then slip it into 3rd and i'm doing X MPH by the time I hit the crest. In my 2.0 TDi 3 Series Coupe I do the exact same thing and get the exact same X MPH when I hit the crest.

The GTA feels all dramatic and fire breathing monster whereas the beemer just feels like its gliding up to that speed, no urgency but it still covers the ground from a rolling start in the same time it takes the GTA.

GTA is 216 bhp @ wheels
Beemer is 180 @ the fly with no mods (it is an m-sport auto though)

Not quite sure why this would be.

P.S. what mods you planning Gaz?

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Torque is quite impressive in some of those smokey Bimmers, but give em a standing start and I've had a coffee and a bun by the time I see em again.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Must admit, smokey cars don't do it for me, torque notwithstanding. Gotta work for my fun is my motto... :)

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,359 Posts
PS Hows it goin Gaz ?
not too bad Mark, setting to work on the car before long. it needs a bit of coin throwing at it with extreme precision, suspension and brakes and the like :)
how is the Cup? apart from being obviously quick, still sounding like the devil shouting? :lol:

P.S. what mods you planning Gaz?
cams and a remap first up, with an induction kit of some sort then hopefully sometime in the not too distant future im going to look at supercharging it :evil:

·
Registered
30,067 Posts
Just had a BMW X5 want to overtake me in a 30mph zone single carriage way, so I put my foot down and left him on the wrong side of the road long enough to show he was a plonker :rolleyes: soon as he fell back we were doing 30 anyway because of speed bumps :rolleyes: Why though I ask? I am not exactly known for being slow :mad:

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I was leaving for work yesterday morning at 5.45 AM. When I reached the roundabout at the top of our road I noticed a Volvo Estate aproaching very fast from the left, I had entered the roundabout, and was making eye contact with the middle aged man in the volvo who did not look like he was going to stop. I braked and sounded my horn, he just about managed to stop, I checked to make sure that i was indicating right and i was.

I came off the roundabout in third and changed to fourth, The car was not warm and i was not pushing it. Matey in the Volvo had followed me onto the roundabout, right up my chuff and as soon as we had cleared the roundabout he pulled out and tried to pass me. Like i said my car was still cold so i did not want to push it but i was not going to let this knob get by me either so i changed back to third and put my foot down,Matey in the volvo tucked back in on my bumper and sat with his lights on full beam.( i put on my rear fogs) we aproached a car up ahead that was going quite a bit slower as we aproached a sweeping left hander with a box out to turn right. the guy in the Volvo pulled out again and passed both me and the car ahead on the wrong side of the road around the outside of the bend forcing a car coming the other way to brake and pull to his left .

I was really tempted to get after him again and have him but managed to contain myself:lol:

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Just had a BMW X5 want to overtake me in a 30mph zone single carriage way, so I put my foot down and left him on the wrong side of the road long enough to show he was a plonker :rolleyes: soon as he fell back we were doing 30 anyway because of speed bumps :rolleyes: Why though I ask? I am not exactly known for being slow :mad:
I think it's all a matter of sizing:the smaller the ego,the bigger the car. SUV drivers probably feel that because they're sitting higher than others,they're the kings of the road.
I still dread to imagine what the outcome of a car crash with a SUV and a small car (say a Daewoo Matiz,made by the same factory who does metal wheelie bins),and frankly don't understand 1)what's the sense of such cars 2)why they're allowed!!

Tuefel,yr 0-60 is remarkable(is it an original performance or there's some hocus locus undress the bonnet?),but mine is quite embarassing for a 210hp car..come on Alfa,u can do it!!
Alfa was renowned for their rear wheel transmission,it's a shame they dumped that heritage to save money..
A.

D

·
0 Posts
Are you sure he was the one who looked like a plonker...? :lol:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts