Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I surfed the web looking for a good combined unit that is a good sat nav, but also warns re fixed site cameras and the like and importantly warns re: mobile laser and radar sites.

The two units that seem to meet my needs are:
1. Road Angel 9000 with laser detection unit
2. Snooper sapphire plus

Does anybody use these products and are there any other better products out there that the Alfisti have experirence of?

Advice greatly appreciated.

S

·
0 Posts
You know that anything with a laser or a "radar" is illegal on out roads dont you?

I was told by my Aunt who is a road traffic copper so must be true :(

N

·
0 Posts
Don't bring them over the channel, the cops are
really hot and can result in a 1500 Euro fine,
confiscation of the equipment, your car and your licence.

:eek:

S

·
0 Posts
Thats what I thought, but I have never put it to the test.

I like my licence you see :) :)

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
i dont know the law in other countrys but it is pefectly legal to own and use in the uk, the police origionaly tried to make them illegal under the data protection act untill someone fought it in court and won on the grounds that it dosent receive any data, it only detects the presence of radar or laser signals in the same way a wifi detector can tell you there is a wireless network nearby without actualy reading any data from within said wireless network :thumbs:

http://www.radardetectors.co.uk/faqs.htm

·
Registered
315 Posts
Radar and laser detectors are legal at the moment but this is being changed soon.

GPS speed camera systems (e.g. TomTom, Garmin) are and will rmain legal.

I've got a TomTom One and think it is pretty good.

Have a look here:

UK Speedtrap Guide. radar detector comparison, compare radar detector, gatso, speeding, speedtrap, gatso camera, blinder, uk speed trap, speed trap uk

Speed trap locators test | Products | Auto Express

Sat-nav test | Products | Auto Express

Computer Shopper - Britain's Biggest Selling Computer Monthly - do a search on sat nav

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
GTleigh is trialing a decent Road Angel satnav all in one combo. Looks the mutts nuts:cool:

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GTleigh is trialing a decent Road Angel satnav all in one combo. Looks the mutts nuts:cool:
SR I seem to think you have a RA plus, is it any good? To your knowledge does the laser detector work? And do you need an external aerial with it?

What is your experince of this unit?

many thanks:thumbs: ?

Mr D

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
SR I seem to think you have a RA plus, is it any good? To your knowledge does the laser detector work? And do you need an external aerial with it?

What is your experince of this unit?

many thanks:thumbs: ?

Mr D

We have two RA+'s and they are excellent. Laser is only good for "scatter" but the mobile database is really good, if you listen to it (unlike my wife:rolleyes:).

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Today as a trial I am going to have both the new trial Road Angel Navigation 9000 (sat nav & RA) & my Garmin Nuvi 660FM with the latest pocketworld speed camera locations - side by side lets see how they compare.

results later......

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Today as a trial I am going to have both the new trial Road Angel Navigation 9000 (sat nav & RA) & my Garmin Nuvi 660FM with the latest pocketworld speed camera locations - side by side lets see how they compare.

results later......
Look forward to hearing what the outcome is:thumbs:

·
Registered
315 Posts
I use a TomTom one for combined sat nav and speed trap notifications but I also just bought a Novus GPS Rider for £70 off ebay (they are also on ebay for £50 brand new).

The Novus comes with free lifetime speed trap updates and I am having it wired in to a permananet live so I can just leave it in the car in a cubby hole. That way I don't have to keep setting up the TomTom when I don't need the sat nav.

It's dead easy to go through a speed camera when you're not fully on the ball (especially on the East Lancs from Manchester ;) )

The Novus can also run for around 8 hours from its internal battery so I can use it on my motorbike too with a pair of earphones.

There is also a connection for an external led so a wire can be run from your jacket pocket to inside the helmet - not got round to doing this yet. This would give a visual warning in your helmet.

The Novus picks up a GPS signal even when stuffed in a cubby hole - it is more like a mobile than a sat nav when it comes to locking onto the GPS signals.

Reviewed here:

http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/novusrider.htm

It just got a best buy in Autoexpress too :thumbs:

I ran it side by side with my TomTom and I prefer the Novus for locating and warning about Gatsos etc.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Look forward to hearing what the outcome is:thumbs:
Well here goes, I set off with good intentions to trial the Road angel Navigation 9000 & the Garmin Nuvi 660fm side by side and it all started well, although i'd had enough of the Road Angel Nav by the 3rd appointment !

Both units set up in the car ok

First boot & satellite Lock

RA 1m 30s :eek:

Garmin 35s

subsequent boots a little faster with the RA, the garmin is always quicker than the original boot.

Touch screen use

RA lots of lag when screen touched, so much so you press it again just in case it didnt work first time and then you get two of what you wanted

Garmin virtually no lag at all

Menu functions

RA lots of menus very fussy & lots of back. back. back to get to where you want to be. Lost more options on the camera locations, type, distance to & volume

Garmin, simpler and more effective, no options for speed camera alerts other than the standard.

Navigation

RA lots of lag on address input, surprising routing options, slow to re-calc, good display & travel info, mapping some missing roundabouts (not new)

Garmin I have to say its excellent, quick routing & re-calcs, not such good travel info only arrival time & next turn info, mapping more upto date

Speed Camera

RA superb, comprehensive, accurate, clear screen of over speed (red) & underspeed (green) with camera type speed etc.

Garmin, using either the garmin (cyclops) data or the PocketGPS data they are pretty accurate only one mobile camera missing on my routes today, warnings are just a bong, and a strip at the top of the screen, not as clear or as in your face.

Conclusion

RA - excellent Speed Camera detector, with a porly add on navigation system, quite disapointed, and the unit will be going back.

Garmin - excellent Navigation sustem with a basic camera locations package add on.

So i guess they are good at their primary product, but are let down by poor addons to make an all in one product.

So for the time being I will continue with my sat nav and separate RA rather than the combined, pity as i hate too much hardware on the dash/window.

hope this helps

Leigh

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Radar and laser detectors which detect a radar/laser beam are to be made illegal shortly - the law is in place to allow for it but no date has been set for it to be enacted yet. Once that happens the ones that use GPS and a database of sites will be the only legal ones.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
leigh

Great review many thanks I am sure others will find this useful. i guess you really confirmed what i suspected, in that at the moment there is not a good combined unit; there is a lot of dosh to be made for the first company to make a good combined unit, I am surprised it has not yet been achieved:rolleyes: I guess its cheaper to ''roll out'' your best product with a bolt on of sat nav system or safety cameras.

I am sure it will come fairly soon.

Cheers
Adrian:)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts