Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had the black inserts in the bumpers colour coded? If so what are the results like, and do you have any pics you can show me? Is it a relatively easy DIY job?

I'm torn between trying to source some GTA bumpers or just getting the black bits done in silver. I reckon my chances of finding a pair of bumpers second hand are pretty slim so its more than likely going to be the colour coding route.

Rick

·
Premium Member
2,701 Posts
I've thought about it myself but have only seen and handful of 147/156s with colour-coded trim.

Generally these kind of inserts are made from the same plastic as the rest of the bumper so painting them should be as straight forward as re-spraying a bumper as long as the primer used ensures good adhesion with the plastic substrate.

One word of warning - just painting over the textured finish without some filling or flatting can give slightly different gloss results on the trim. This won't be a radical difference but might be noticable depending on the size of the grained finish. The bumpers will more than likely be smooth as there isn't an unpainted option offered on Alfas. A good example for comparison would be the bumpers on a Peugeot 306. The last facelift (circa 2000) had fully painted bumpers but used the same grained bumpers as on the previous model year. You can see the results of painting over a grained finish - slightly orange peeley!

IMO colour coded trim works really well on some colours and not on others! I'm sure this is just subjective and others will disagree. The red 156 I last saw looked cracking.

·
Registered
404 Posts
...I'd definitely consider Chrome or Chrome finish inserts to go over the black sections.....do they already exist anyone ?.

Maybe not to everyones taste as styling is so subjective but I think they'd look great on a 156.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers. I'll have a closer look at it today. The black bits are moulded into the bumper so I wouldn't fancy getting something to 'cover' it would require a respray IMO. Not sure how easy or otherwise it would be for a bodyshop to prep them so that they get perfectly smooth??

G

·
My Alfa Rosso red 156 looks a lot better with colour coded bumpers now. I had mine done a couple of years ago when the bumpers needed respraying anyway. And since I needed a new front bumper at the time, I also took the opportunity to get rid of the worse-than-useless headlamp 'washers' too. They don't do the required job and just **** away half your washer fluid!

Funnily enough though, I prefer the door mirrors in black and have left them as they are.

PS yes, any good bodyshop should be able to prep the black strips to get them smooth, no probs.

·
Premium Member
2,701 Posts
Not really up to spec on 156s but, having looked at Auto Trader, a lot of post 02 156s (only a rough timeline) appear to have fully painted bumpers. Again, I'm not sure if this applies only to certain trim levels or whether it was across the board. If they are moulded in then a full re-spray is probably the best option. Masking off the bumper could be done I suppose.

I have a 147 and the trim is clipped on so it is easier to play with.

·
Premium Member
2,701 Posts
VO2Max said:
My Alfa Rosso red 156 looks a lot better with colour coded bumpers now.
Red is definately one of the colours that works really well with fully painted trim. Not convinced it would make a big difference on my Maple Green 147.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
VO2Max said:
My Alfa Rosso red 156 looks a lot better with colour coded bumpers now. I had mine done a couple of years ago when the bumpers needed respraying anyway. And since I needed a new front bumper at the time, I also took the opportunity to get rid of the worse-than-useless headlamp 'washers' too. They don't do the required job and just **** away half your washer fluid!

Got any pics of yours??

·
Premium Member
2,701 Posts
VO2Max said:
I also took the opportunity to get rid of the worse-than-useless headlamp 'washers' too. They don't do the required job and just **** away half your washer fluid!
Do the 156 HL wash jets operate everytime you use the windscreen jets or do they just work when the lights are on?

I've not yet had to top up my fluids so can't judge how rapidly the levels go down!

·
Registered
822 Posts
Sorry I was assuming that you were intending to have the full bumper painted, as the strips are an integral part of the bumper

·
Premium Member
Tesla Model S
8,046 Posts
you cannot really have the black parts done, I had to have the whole bumper sprayed as masking the area and spraying leaves a nasty line, of course it looks ok from a distance but just not right up close.

I had the mirrors, the spot light cover and front and rear bumpers sprayed for about £500 I think, it transformed my car.

AO

·
Registered
30,263 Posts
Probusterrace said:
Not really up to spec on 156s but, having looked at Auto Trader, a lot of post 02 156s (only a rough timeline) appear to have fully painted bumpers.
The change to fully painted bumpers was in the mid 2002 minor facelift.
It is a different part to the pre-2002 bumper.

·
Premium Member
2,701 Posts
David C said:
The change to fully painted bumpers was in the mid 2002 minor facelift.
It is a different part to the pre-2002 bumper.
Thought as much, I knew someone would be along soon to confirm.

This facelift was the one before they removed the strips and changed the grille etc wasn't it. In which case, being a minor change, even though it is a new part, I would expect the body-in-white fixings to remain the same. Does anyone know if the bumpers are still interchangeable or did other body panels change too (like the lamps and bonnet did on the 147 facelift)?

Cheers.

·
Registered
30,263 Posts
Nothing else changed externally other than some bits being painted instead of left in the black plastic colour.
With the right preparation the early bumpers can turn out ok when painted.

Personally I prefer the black strips though.

Re the headlight washers, they only work when the sidelights are on.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts