Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice in the last week or two the coilovers seem to be knocking a bit when going over bumps, could this be down to the cold weather or is that wishful thinking is it a more serious problem?

·
Vendor
46,600 Posts
Its probably more likely to be the suspension bushes knocking than the shocks..

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its probably more likely to be the suspension bushes knocking than the shocks..
I still can,t tell what it is, i changed the wishbones about 18 months ago, put in the coilovers about a year ago, changed the gearbox and engine mounts and the drop links before christmas,the track rod ends seem ok, but still there is knocking coming mainly from the passengers side, seems a bit worse in the last two weeks but maybe that's because the ice on the roads is creating more bumps, could the wishbone be gone again, i don,t do big miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The Bilstein coilovers I've used have all developed the same fault when used on road cars. Ford and Peugeot but similar design and fault.

The insert is mounted upside down in the strut housing. The chromed insert body is the visible section which connects to the top mount and the insert rod travels down inside the strut housing and bolts through the bottom. If the unit Isn't stripped and cleaned regularly, water gets past the top seal and sits inside the case. The water then damages the thread at the bottom of the case allowing the insert rod to move and start knocking.

Look or feel the bottom of the case, there should be a 10mm lock nut. Get someone to bounce the car and check for play. The case usually needs welding or bushing ( M10 X 1mm pitch)and the insert replacing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts