Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
didnt do anything Alfa or Benelli related this bank holiday.
Instead went and saw these beauties taxiing up and down Bruntingthorpe runway

(oh,how did that last one get in there)!!!!:eek: :thumbs: ;)

·
Registered
507 Posts
If it wasnt Spring Alfa Day i would have been at bruntingthorp like a shot.

I wonder if they would be interested in giving AROC/AO a lump of space like they did with the TVR owners club.

Fantastic Pics by the way

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it wasnt Spring Alfa Day i would have been at bruntingthorp like a shot.

I wonder if they would be interested in giving AROC/AO a lump of space like they did with the TVR owners club.

Fantastic Pics by the way
yeah that would be a good idea.

Have to say the Vulcan was looking a bit sorry for itself in its hangar:( ,no wheels up, on struts and in the middle of a major service

·
Registered
298 Posts
yeah that would be a good idea.

Have to say the Vulcan was looking a bit sorry for itself in its hangar:( ,no wheels up, on struts and in the middle of a major service
558 is not "sorry for herself", she is having her winter service as all display aircraft do.

This would normally be finished by now but had to be delayed due to the finding crisis. I'm SURE you saw in the news, the project was due to go into administration on 6th March unless funding of one million pounds was identified by that date.

This was achieved - thanks to incredible public support, and the 6-week winter servicing schedule could begin.

Her first public appearance should be RAF Cosford - for airshow dates please check our website Vulcan to the Sky Trust - Avro Vulcan Bomber XH558 - Vulcan To The Sky Trust

In order to arrange an official AROC prescence at an Open Day, you need to write to Dave Walton, however I have looked into the possibility of this and didn't get a very positive response.

AROC are of course welcome to convoy to any open day - but please be aware that hard-standing is often but not always available.

Aggy Meers
Vulcan To The Sky

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
OK ... here was my reaction to this thread ...

OOOOOOOoooo Lightning ... (was really cool to sit in one at Gatwick Museum)

A Vicky ... wow you don't see many of them

A Comet ... watch out for the fatigue ! (I'm an engineer)

F104 and a Bucc ... prefer the Bucc (one of the best planes we ever made)

Gillian ... :wow:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Lightning :thumbs:

Victor :thumbs: :thumbs:

F104 :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Me like :D

(but I'm biased toward anything from the Lockheed Skunk Works - Kelly Johnson was a genius - and more importantly, had the ears of the Pentagon, so unlike us Brits he also had access to unlimited pots of cash...)

Great pictures Fredzed!

Lauren

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
558 is not "sorry for herself", she is having her winter service as all display aircraft do.

This would normally be finished by now but had to be delayed due to the finding crisis. I'm SURE you saw in the news, the project was due to go into administration on 6th March unless funding of one million pounds was identified by that date.

This was achieved - thanks to incredible public support, and the 6-week winter servicing schedule could begin.

Her first public appearance should be RAF Cosford - for airshow dates please check our website Vulcan to the Sky Trust - Avro Vulcan Bomber XH558 - Vulcan To The Sky Trust

In order to arrange an official AROC prescence at an Open Day, you need to write to Dave Walton, however I have looked into the possibility of this and didn't get a very positive response.

AROC are of course welcome to convoy to any open day - but please be aware that hard-standing is often but not always available.

Aggy Meers
Vulcan To The Sky

Hold on there,

I know all about the funding problems of the Vulcan,i donated 50 quid to hopefully keep her in the air,and the wife and i are members of the VTTSC.

What i would say is the wife and i took her 70 year old father to see 558,he used to crew these very aircraft and has many interesting stories to tell of the cold war days.However at no point walking around the hangar did any of the team engage us in conversation or give us any updates on the servicing or up coming air displays.

With such a captive audience on the day i would of thought it would of been a great publicity chance for the plane.To be honest it took us an hour to find the airfield,not a sign anywhere.!

Any how i hope to see her in the air this year,we missed her last year.

Good luck

fredzedex:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
V bombers always look great, even when they are being serviced. Compare and contrast Boeing B52 - big, imposing (particularly with an assortment of smart guided weapons in its rotary rack), but hardly in the same league as the delta wing Vulcan or crescent wing Victor...

I would prefer to see them in anti-flash white livery though, they were only painted in camoflage after SAMs rendered their high altitude operation redundant in the mid-60s.

The Buccaneer is a fascinating study in how to create an airframe strong enough to operate at Mach 2 at sea level. The only other aircraft I can think of that used an area-ruling ("coke-bottle") on the fuselage is the Republic F105 Thunderchief - and that could barely scrape past Mach 1...

Lauren

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
V bombers always look great, even when they are being serviced. Compare and contrast Boeing B52 - big, imposing (particularly with an assortment of smart guided weapons in its rotary rack), but hardly in the same league as the delta wing Vulcan or crescent wing Victor...

I would prefer to see them in anti-flash white livery though, they were only painted in camoflage after SAMs rendered their high altitude operation redundant in the mid-60s.

The Buccaneer is a fascinating study in how to create an airframe strong enough to operate at Mach 2 at sea level. The only other aircraft I can think of that used an area-ruling ("coke-bottle") on the fuselage is the Republic F105 Thunderchief - and that could barely scrape past Mach 1...

Lauren
Buccaneers were still in service during the first gulf war,thats VFM.When were they designed,mid 50's?
When they were finally retired the pilots were asked for their views on a replacement and they asked for....... new Buccaneers:thumbs: :lol: :cool:

What ever happened to the third V bomber, the Vickers Valiant?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Wow, great jets and also good to see the original Airbus 'beluga' - used to see them regularly where I grew up on the Wirral, flying in and out of Hawarden to pick up Airbus wings and take them to mainland Europe for final assembly.

Now there's a jet version which isn't quite as striking to look at (although the A380 wings are too big for it to carry so they have to go by boat...)

·
Registered
22,760 Posts
Buccaneers were still in service during the first gulf war,thats VFM.When were they designed,mid 50's?
When they were finally retired the pilots were asked for their views on a replacement and they asked for....... new Buccaneers:thumbs: :lol: :cool:

What ever happened to the third V bomber, the Vickers Valiant?
57 years in service for Canberras, THAT'S Value for Money!!

Even sold them to the Yanks:thumbs:

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
For some reason the german jet frightens me. I know it was built after WW2 but imaginge if they had the aircraft During the war ! Or just imagine if they had the ME262 in huge numbers the outcome of the war may have been very different.

K

·
0 Posts
Saw this recently.

The best Italian fighter of WWII, the Saggitario Re 2005.

Hardly any went into service in 1943 due to allied bombing. They were used to defend Naples and Rome. As good as some of the best allied fighters, including the Spitfire IX and Mustang.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Saw this recently.

The best Italian fighter of WWII, the Saggitario Re 2005.

Hardly any went into service in 1943 due to allied bombing. They were used to defend Naples and Rome. As good as some of the best allied fighters, including the Spitfire IX and Mustang.
That looks like an ME 109 at first glance. Are they related ?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts