Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

Just wondering how you all find your GTAs from a cold start, sometimes mine seems fine but at other times it feels like a beast with a hangover that I've woken up to do some gardening or something. Lumpy idle, clunky gearchange but once its up to temperature all this goes away.

Do you suffer the same, will it get worse as winter draws in?

Cheers

sean

·
Registered
615 Posts
I thought it was just me, but I definitely get the clunky gearchanges for the first few miles after a cold start.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Mine runs 95% ok when it's cold for about 3 or 4 miles of steady driving, then it's ok. Sounds brilliant when it's cold though, what's all that about?! Sounds much 'meatier'!

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Yeah! know exactly what you mean! Bit like grabbing the wife at 3am, who moans and groans, and just will not behave in the required fashion! She's ok's when awake, and warmed up though.:D

E

·
0 Posts
Yeah! know exactly what you mean! Bit like grabbing the wife at 3am, who moans and groans, and just will not behave in the required fashion! She's ok's when awake, and warmed up though.:D
:lol:

For your sake zulu I hope she doesn't read that.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Seriously, the Thema was fine when we lived up there in Snoots Land. Double width garage, with radiator, and the central heating boiler was installed there too!

Sheer motoring luxury, and the wee Panda, carburettor/choke, never required any strangling, even on the coldest of mornings. Extravagant maybe, but way to go?:):

·
Administrator
46,103 Posts
Never had a problem when cold here. Only issue is an occasional sticky starter motor (I assume) which results in a horrible graunching noise for a split second after it starts. Only happens on the odd occasion though.

Agree about the sound though. If Jenny is still putting stuff in the boot when I've started up, can't resist a blip or two, it sounds heavenly.
Maybe I should consider removing the bootlid as a sound improvement mod :D

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
I have trouble getting it in reverse gear when starting from cold.

Same here. Fortunately I don't often have to reverse out in the morning.

I just put it down to the fact my car loves me and goes out in sympathy when I have my morning hangover.

·
Vendor
46,116 Posts
Mines fine from a cold start, although sometimes when its just getting past 50 degrees or so the idle gets really lumpy, but it goes away once its over 70. I think this is it going off choke before the slight blow in the manifold seals itself..

O

·
0 Posts
On one or two morning cold starts just recently, it's "missed" or misfired for about half a second, probably around 30 seconds after pulling away, then it's right as rain :confused: No idea what it is.

Pud, I also get what sounds like a slight blowing around the ex manifolds on coldstart, but has gone within a couple of minutes.

·
Vendor
46,116 Posts
Pud, I also get what sounds like a slight blowing around the ex manifolds on coldstart, but has gone within a couple of minutes.
Probably a bad seal between the manifold and the block, or a crack in the manifold itself (less likely). I wouldn't worry about it unless it gets worse. Mine makes a ticking noise rather than a blowing noise, sounds like tappets but the noise is coming from down the back of the engine rather than the top. It was AutoLusso that diagnosed it, their mechanic held his head down the back of the engine and before long the petrol vapour stung his eyes :lol:

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
Never really had much of a problem but a couple of months ago it was slightly lumpy idling.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Cold morning starts give me a lumpy gearchange too ... and those leather seats are far too cold first thing ~ straight on with the heated seats!!!! Now and again I also get that starter motor noise ~ it's only on cold mornings.

But she does sound good in the cold!!

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good to know it's common then and just an indiosyncacy of the engine/gearbox even though some don't have it although is that potentially due to higher mileage and more internal wear making the engine more tolerant of temperature variations?

O

·
0 Posts
Probably a bad seal between the manifold and the block, or a crack in the manifold itself (less likely). I wouldn't worry about it unless it gets worse. Mine makes a ticking noise rather than a blowing noise, sounds like tappets but the noise is coming from down the back of the engine rather than the top. It was AutoLusso that diagnosed it, their mechanic held his head down the back of the engine and before long the petrol vapour stung his eyes :lol:
Yes, I get a slight ticking too when it's warm. I'll have it looked at when it's next in the garage.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Mine starts Ok, but will sometimes cut out whilst changing gear and braking (no throttle) only usually notice when I am tryin gto steer and can't move the bloody wheel. I have learnt now just to lift the clutch and bump her always starts then, Ok when warmed up.

I like to think of this as character and part of the learning experience, I have now learn't to brake with my big toe whilst keeping a bit of throttle on with my little toe:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts