Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last few weeks and with the cold mornings, the start up of my car seems to be a little erratic,as if theres no power. My battery is fine,checked by 2 different machines and I put a new starter in 14months ago.Any ideas guys?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Even the best batt tester can miss a duff battery if the voltage is good and also the conductance or whatever it is. Had this with our Scaab 9-3, I took it to work and tested the battery with a traditional high discharge tester and also a superduper electronic analyser. Both said good, any way car broke down again missus called local garage who jump started it even thought the batt was good on their tester too. car was fine for a while, then same again, turns out the batt had a bad cell.

The only way to spot it was that when on charge one cell was fizzing slighty more than others, and thinking back the CCA/SAE did seem a bit too good.

New batt fitted and been good since

Cured allsorts of other electrical gremlins too!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Duff cell would surely have shown up on drop tester ,if not on the meter/gauge then by it gassing like a woman!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yeah hes right about the battery issue, as your having problems from cold.

There is a couple of other things that spring to mind with your engine.
1. check your air intake pipe, as they do split underneath.
2. Could be a start of a Air flow meter playing up
3. Also if your cars mileage is creeping up then there is a re-set that should be done on every service, it is usaul carried out with are computer called examiner and the re-set is called ( re-set self apdation parameters ) in short in retunes the min and max of the parameters in sensors, can fix a lot of little errors.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
208 Posts
Maybe 'bad cell' is the wrong words, but it came up good on my tester and the works ones, also others too. I thought the car was fooked, intermittent non starting, headlights going out whilst driving at night, radio turning its self on and volume going up to full!lol etc. Was ready to scrap it as I couldn't find a problem any where I looked,no codes, spent ages replacing fuses and relays cleaning contacts, etc. All caused by a battery!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts