Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently rebuilt a 1.8 TS 156, the full monty, cranK, rod, piston, oil pump, variator, belts blah blah Anyway she started first time and goes well, no smoke or rattles or squeeks. The only niggle is cold idle where after starting she runs at around 1200 rpm fine, then drops to 900 or so and runs- well not rough exactly, just hunts a little. Go for a run and she idles just fine.
Is there an idle control valve or something that regualarly buggers up?
Any ideas?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I had to change the head gasket on mine earlier in the year. It had the same idle problem after I had done the job too. However after a couple of hundred miles the problem disappeared.

Someone else had this problem recently too, with the same results. Maybe it just takes a little time for the sensors to settle in again after the rebuild.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there is period of re-learning after a big rebuild like that...give it 200 miles then start to play around with the idle valve and timming.

with the old lancia you had to let the cooling fan cut in three times then disconnect the battery for ten minutes to reset everything.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, a mates gonna run her up an down the M6 all week to run it in an stuff, see whats she's like then and we'll change the oil an filter and give her a once over.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts