Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had a cold caller knocking on my door, carrying a holdall which presumably contained tea towels or dusters or something similar and waving an 'identity card'. I've learnt that it is fatal to be polite and pretend to show any interest, so these days I just say "sorry I'm on the phone" and send them on their way. The look of total disgust he gave me had to be seen to be believed.

I don't like cold callers - never have done. I didn't ask him to come banging on my door disturbing my day. I'm sure he wouldn't like it if I went banging on his door trying to sell him junk. Either go and get a proper job or sign on the dole. Stop bothering people in their own homes. Old people are scared of cold callers and rightly so. It should be illegal.

I even had a cold caller the other day from Shelter who basically implied that I had no right to live in a house. Dirty, hippy type. If you are going to come and bang on my door asking for money, being rude to me is going to get you nowhere.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
I always say 'not interested' before they can even get a word in :lol:
Works for me - some of the time!

We had a very persistent one last week trying to sell double glazing. Not, perhaps, the sharpest knife in the box, though. He called at one of our neighbour's houses; you'd think that walking past a big van parked on the drive with the name of a double glazing company in big letters on the side would be a clue that it was a waste of time!

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
At this time of year, its good too see that the 'true meaning of Christmas' isn't lost on everyone - or those that profess too preach it anyway. "who was that mummy/daddy?" "Oh, just some waster trying too sell things" ;)

If he was on the dole, he be called a scrounger! Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't :(

At least he's making the effort to fend for himself, rather than off the state.

Just saying like :D

Merry Christmas :thumbs:

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At this time of year, its good too see that the 'true meaning of Christmas' isn't lost on everyone - or those that profess too preach it anyway. "who was that mummy/daddy?" "Oh, just some waster trying too sell things" ;)

If he was on the dole, he be called a scrounger! Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't :(

At least he's making the effort to fend for himself, rather than off the state.

Just saying like :D

Merry Christmas :thumbs:

I take your point, but these callers are pretty threatening. I'm sure many old people cough up cash because they are too scared not to.

If someone is on the dole, but actively and seriously looking for work, I certainly wouldn't call them a scrounger. I know many people in that position. However I don't think banging on peoples' doors, adopting a threatening attitude and trying to bully people on their own doorstep is acceptable. So as I said, I believe cold calling should be illegal. It's not a proper job - it's bordering on mugging.

·
Registered
934 Posts
"Come on in, the coven meeting has just started, and we are short of a blood sacrifice" ... that usually works...

Having said that I sometimes listen and then so no politely, it depends on what they look like...

I actually enjoy being canvassed at election times ... especially if its a Tory ... then I can point out the error of their ways ...

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
I take your point, but these callers are pretty threatening. I'm sure many old people cough up cash because they are too scared not to.

If someone is on the dole, but actively and seriously looking for work, I certainly wouldn't call them a scrounger. I know many people in that position. However I don't think banging on peoples' doors, adopting a threatening attitude and trying to bully people on their own doorstep is acceptable. So as I said, I believe cold calling should be illegal. It's not a proper job - it's bordering on mugging.
Fair enough fella :thumbs:

My only experience of cold callers has been from legitimate folk trying to earn a crust. They've usually had some sort of physical handicap (could be argued they're tugging at the heart strings I suppose). Never once had anyone threatening trying to fob their wares off to me.

Most people in our street are retired and have 'No Cold Callers' stickers on their doors. The only other type, are the religious nuts and as they usually hunt in packs, we know not too answer the door when the bell rings.

But yes, if they're nasty and aggressive tell the Schusters to **** off :D

"Come on in, the coven meeting has just started, and we are short of a blood sacrifice" ... that usually works...
Reminds me of that sketch (the fast Show I think), where they invite the Jehovah witness into the house and bore him silly with his scrap books about classic motor bikes :lol:

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
:cool: They don't come to my house, I think it's blacklisted with them.

·
Super Moderator
916 Spider P1 Lusso
9,446 Posts
I don't buy off door to door salesmen, or sign up to charity subscriptions on the street. Sorry, but these days you can't be too careful.

Plus if it's microfibre cloths they're selling, I probably already have more than they're carrying in that dodgy looking holdall!

·
Regional Support, For South Scotland - AOSS
3,507 Posts
We're in a 'Cold Calling Watch' area. Council have put up signs on lamp-posts and each household given a small sign (see below) to display on a door or window.
Seems to work pretty well too although we do still get the occasional 'visitor'. They get a quick "I don't buy from non-English speakers" as I point to the sign and close the door on their puzzled expression, :rolleyes:.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Thumbs up!

·
Registered
10 Posts
When I'm home alone, I invite them in so I have someone to talk to. I make them a cup of tea or coffee then pretend to be interested. When they get to the point of "So are you going to purchase some double glazing?" I say "You know what? You're a lovely person and all, but I'm only 17 and this is my parents house."

I need friends :(

·
Administrator
23,041 Posts
A few times I have bought stuff from people cold calling at my door and selling "scissors which will cut anything etc" in the name of a charity - usually one which helps them get back on the straight and narrow. A laudable aim.

The trouble is - they sell - lets face it s*** products which don't last. They always cost £10 when you could almost always buy the same thing from a pound shop.

I would happily pay over the odds to a charity if the product was half decent but invariably it isn't.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Last summer I was busy working on the car, so new parts and tools all on the go etc. I get this "pond life" double glazing salesman knocking on the door, to which no answer as I am up the drive (at the very back of my house). So he has the audacity to invade my property further to give me the hard sell...

"Look mate, I don't want your products and if you opened your eyes you could see I have fairly new windows etc. now please just jog on" ...... The C*** is then leaning up against the motor (bad move on his part) still giving it all the flannel....

At which point I totally lost my cool, picked up the biggest gauge spanner, pulled him off my motor and basically told him to GET THE F*** OFF MY PROPERTY before I split your skull in two!!!!

Some people really do deserve a good beating IMO :lol:

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
Attitudes astound me.

Mind you, we can all sound menacing behind a keyboard.

·
Registered
37,756 Posts
When they are at the door, try turning around and shouting up the stairs "Marge, we have another one here, can you start lifing the slabs up on the patio again"

Usually I am polite at first, but if they are persistent then I get rude, if that doesn't work getting nasty usually does the trick.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Had one a couple of months ago. He started unloading his bag before I could say anything. When I did eventually get a word in he turned shirty. I think the fear factor has something to do with their approach, like when you get the Irish tarmackers/pegsellers/fortune tellers. I agree cold calling of all sorts should be banned.

I have registered with the TPS but unfortunately it doesn't operate in Mumbai, so I suspect that if telephine calling was banned here they would just ship it overseas.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
I have registered with the TPS but unfortunately it doesn't operate in Mumbai, so I suspect that if telephine calling was banned here they would just ship it overseas.
If they are calling on behalf of a UK-based company TPS rules apply irrrespective of where they are calling from.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts