Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
37,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking Mrs Pat to Petula Clark’s residence as a little present. She likes the TV series and has long wanted to visit Down-town Abbey. As we closed in on our accommodation she says to me “I have that feeling of Deja-Vu!”. We are thinking back 15+ to when we first bought her spider.
After a mile or so a twisty section of road starts to evoke the same feeling in me and from nowhere the words ‘Cold Ash’ slip out.
Another mile and we pass the sign for Cold Ash and the Pinewood Motor Company, a fine establishment no doubt, but a shadow of it’s former glory.

How I wish they were still there.

·
Registered
17,039 Posts
I’m happy to say I didn’t understand any of that; but I would love to hear more :) over to you, boss!

·
Registered
17,039 Posts
“... and then, because, ha ha ha ha, flowers, so Albert, ha ha ha ha, many drinks, fwwwwww, ha ha ha ha, in the plant pot!”

·
Super Moderator
44,916 Posts
As funny as Rowley Birkin was, I seem to remember a sketch (maybe the last of his?) which was heartbreakingly poignant.

·
Registered
17,039 Posts
Having re read it, I get it now.

Hence the old saying: read twice, cut once.

Err, I think.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Having re read it, I get it now.

Hence the old saying: read twice, cut once.

Err, I think.
Don't think I have ever watched DT Abbey or if that is even what he meant. Petula Clark must be an old bird now. Is she in Downton Abbey? Who's Mrs Pat?

·
Registered
17,039 Posts
Hang on. Did Petula C sing down town? ‘When you’re alone and life is making you boney, you can always go... Downtown Abbey.’

Imagine that!

·
Registered
17,039 Posts
Well would you look at that!

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Well would you look at that!
Youtube has carried on. So far....
Mary Hopkin - Those were the days
Carpenters - Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft
Forever Autumn / Thunderchild - (Justin Hayward)The War Of The Worlds in concert-Jeff Wayne

I'll let it carry on 😀

·
Super Moderator
44,916 Posts
It would have been much easier if you'd just come out and said it. You know ... in black and white.

·
Registered
17,039 Posts
I remember black & white, or seeing it mentioned etc. Didn’t realise it was kinda up the road.

·
Registered
37,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
They were a lovely garage, they reckoned that half the GTAs sold went through their hands at one time or another. There was a gorgeous ‘sud 1.5ti x in red when we picked up Mrs Pats spider and a 500 Abarth.

Aside from AutoLusso I can’t see a firm making a living from selling pre-owned Alfa’s today.

·
Super Moderator
44,916 Posts
What about that Clive fellow with his intriguing mixture of GTVs and insults?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts