Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looking for a coilover kit thats a little cheaper than the KW or Bilstein products. But quality is important

·
Registered
234 Posts
I've been looking into coilover options lately and it seems like the Eibach Pro-Street S coilovers are slightly cheaper than KW of Bilstein here in Europe. The alfisti.net sells the Eibachs for 849 eur. What is the pricing of the Eibachs in Australia?

KW seems to be the most popular option in the forum and those who use Bilstein seem to be happy with them but I haven't seen that many comments on the Eibachs. However it seems like they should be quality items also.

My biggest issue with the coilovers is that I would like to find a set which doesn't lower the car very much but still improves handling and decreases the unwanted effects of the heavy front end.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, ur right Portti. I wouldnt want the car lowered any more than it is considering im already scraping the front spoiler over speed humps.
Most people have seemed to go for the KW's. Ive looked into the eibachs also but havent heard anything about them. The price seems to be much cheaper than the KW's though

·
Registered
234 Posts
I've noticed that KW has a new interesting coilover model called Street Comfort. KW promises that the lowering with these would be 5-45 mm which is very interesting. More info on them:

http://kw-gmbh.de/en/30_Products/22_KW_Street_Comfort/index.php

Unfortunately KW doesn't have an application list for the Street Comfort on their website so I don't know if they can be fitted to the GTA. I have sent them a question regarding the fitment of the Street Comfort but I haven't received a reply yet.

I think that most likely they don't have a version for GTA yet since the Street Comfort is a brand new design and GTA is probably not among the first cars for which KW makes a version right away.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just looked at the eibach pro street s, r they the best product that they make?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looking at getting the Eibach Pro-street-s. There on sale at Alfisti.net for around 700 euros, equates to around $1200aus. I was quoted around $3000 for the KW variant 3's. Much better value for a very similar product.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Eibach Pro-Street-S don't have any damping adjustment, so don't compare to the KW V3. They are comparable to the KW V1.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I've noticed that KW has a new interesting coilover model called Street Comfort. ... I have sent them a question regarding the fitment of the Street Comfort but I haven't received a reply yet.
I got a reply from KW and they don't have Street Comfort for 147 GTA and they also said that they MIGHT have one by the end of this year but that is not certain.

Does anybody have experiences on the Eibach Pro Street S? How do the compare to KW and Bilstein in real life? I know that Eibach is only height adjustable so comparable products would be KW Variant 1 and Bielstein B14 PSS.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just want to know, unless your going to track your car would the adjustable damping make be usefull on everyday roads?

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Perhaps suprisingly to some yes, I think the adjustable damping isn't really only for track day addicts.

Everybody has a different ideal compromise for comfort and handling, and somtimes a slightly increased firmeness can add **more ** comfort depending on what type of roads and speeds you are doing.

Adjusting the damping is not that complicated, start soft and gradually increase the damping until all the "extra" bouncing over bumps is either gone or comfort is being compromised.

Its easiest to start with the front, get that set at a modest level, and then change just the rear to match. If the rear is too stiff it has a suprisingly large effect on ride comfort.

If you have some speed bumps in your area they are very handy for simple testing to see if one end of the car is too soft.

Once you have a comfortable setup for day to day driving, note the figures for reference, and then you can experiment with increasing the relative stiffness of the rear dampers slightly to improve turn-in and make the handling more sporty.

Don't be put off by people who say that sounds too complicated, it really isn't, and is well worth a small proportion of the extra cost.
(and the best purchase I made for my car).

Note: I am assuming a single damper adjustor (i.e. twiddly knob :)) for bounce and rebound which adjusts the damping in a coupled fashion for both bounce and rebound.
Seperate adjustors for bound and rebound would be heading into track day territory for sure, and would require more than the modest amount of observation required for setting up a basic adjustable damping coilover kit.

Cheers,
TB

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Note: I am assuming a single damper adjustor (i.e. twiddly knob :)) for bounce and rebound which adjusts the damping in a coupled fashion for both bounce and rebound.
Seperate adjustors for bound and rebound would be heading into track day territory for sure, and would require more than the modest amount of observation required for setting up a basic adjustable damping coilover kit.
Yes when you step beyond a single damping adjustment it gets complicated, especialy when you get to:
Low speed bump
High speed bump
Low speed rebound
High speed rebound
and even adjustable hydraulic bumpstops!

·
Registered
234 Posts
At the moment I'm leaning towards purchasing Eibach Pro Street S set from alfisti.net since the price is so attractive. However I still have some doubts since it is very difficult to find anybody who actually has some experience on this product.

Is there anybody who has experience on Eibachs or KW Variant 1 (since KW 1 is supposed to be very similar to Eibach Pro Street S)?

At the moment the biggest issue is the following: If I buy a coilover set with no adjustable damping I will end up with too stiff suspension and no possibilities to do anything about it. Is this something I should be worried about?

With damping adjustable coilovers I would at least in theory have a possibility to tune the suspension to be less stiff if needed.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Obviously I think adjustable damping is good based on my post above,
especially if your typical driving encompasses mixed surfaces.

Just something to wacth out for : if going for adjustable damping you might be advised to get ones which allow you to soften the ride as well as firm it up.
Almost all adjustable dampers allow this with a large range of damping but some dampers such as Koni-yellows have their recommended setting pretty much at their softest settings (which is already firm) and the dampers are mainly adjusted to be firmer to allow for wear.

Genuine feedback from somebody would be good for sure.

<whisper>
Can I heretically suggest you google or try some other Alfa forums for experiences
if it turns out you don't get an answer here :)
</whisper>

Cheers,
TB

·
Registered
234 Posts
Genuine feedback from somebody would be good.
<whisper>Can I heretically suggest you try some other Alfa forums for experiences if you don't get an answer here :)</whisper>
Thanks again for you input TB. Could you whisper quietly some names of potential forums? I just posted a question on a German GTA forum and I've also asked around on a Finnish Alfa-forum but do you know some english speaking forums worth mentioning?

[edit] I've also done some googling previously but I haven't been able to find many user comments on the Eibachs.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Theres a handy list of Alfa related links on http://www.alfa156.net/
if you click the "links" link.

Some of these are forums, even a link to Alfaowner for example.
The alfa156.net forum itself could be worth a tinkle.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts