Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

This is a question you are all probably sick of hearing, but I have done so much research on this forum and still don't have a straight answer. According to the forum, across the range of options, every coilover is either perfect or too firm.

I am running Bilstein b4's on my GT V6, fitted only a year ago after a rear strut collapsed. They are pretty good, but not perfect, the front dips too much under heavy braking and the rear squirrels about and they are "reasonable" on bumps but appalling on rough roads. on a smooth road the handling is perfect but as soon as the surface get rough they really show their weakness.

I feel that for the roads round here I NEED monotubes. Some surfaces here are so rough they feel like they are unpaved. I wrote off the idea of Bilstein b6's as i had heard from so many different sources that they are not tuned for the GT/147/156 and are way too harsh, despite them being perfect on my Giulietta.

I am interested in the B14 coilover kit. These are monotube and also have an additional helper spring and I feel that these would be perfect. Those that have complained of them being firm seem to have lowered it to some degree, I even read of someone saying they are a waste of money and the worst coilovers ever.... he didn't fit the helper springs because he wanted a 60mm drop!

I will be running these at maximum height. I can't lower the car but if max height gives me a drop of 20mm i could probably get away with that.

Would you say this is the right suspension kit for me? I an running stock ARB's, 18" Jetfins with Uniroyal rainsport 3 XL tyres and Stock springs. Over the next few months I plan on fitting a front strut brace and powerflex bushes on the rear trailing arms (not the transverse arms).

Many thanks,

·
Registered
452 Posts
I have B14's fitted. You can have them, they are too harsh for me :rofl:
No seriously, my car is probably lowered by 30mm and even on smooth swiss roads they are very harsh. On smooth roads or on track they are great however.
Would not recommend for a daily driver in Britain.

·
Vendor
47,150 Posts
We fitted some on a 147 GTA years ago, the bloke sold the car a few weeks later. The new owner very shortly paid us to take them off and fit FSDs & Eibach springs.

I'd go with some KWs if you want coilovers, or there are plenty of cheaper options for uprated shocks and springs. The Eibach Pro system shocks are good, coupled with Eibach springs, or Koni FSD shocks, but they're not so cheap anymore.

If you're after anything, just PM me and I'll let you know the best price I can supply for.

I've never found B4s anywhere near composed enough for a GTA driven properly. B6s are much better, if you don't mind the increased harshness.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I fitted coilovers on mine. Too harsh. They were Zeatek Z9s from Alfastumper. On reflection, I should have gone for B6s and standard springs, or maybe Eibach Pros.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Just had B6s fitted with standard springs and the ride is about the same as standard, I'm very happy with the results!

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We fitted some on a 147 GTA years ago, the bloke sold the car a few weeks later. The new owner very shortly paid us to take them off and fit FSDs & Eibach springs.

I'd go with some KWs if you want coilovers, or there are plenty of cheaper options for uprated shocks and springs. The Eibach Pro system shocks are good, coupled with Eibach springs, or Koni FSD shocks, but they're not so cheap anymore.

If you're after anything, just PM me and I'll let you know the best price I can supply for.

I've never found B4s anywhere near composed enough for a GTA driven properly. B6s are much better, if you don't mind the increased harshness.
Thanks Dan, I really must get some pictures/video's of the roads round here. they have to be seen to be believed!. The b4's are comfortable but I really have to hold on when i am driving at anything more than a gentle pace. I am still undecided if coilovers are the way forward. I just want the car to be stable and not rattle my teeth out.

Just had B6s fitted with standard springs and the ride is about the same as standard, I'm very happy with the results!
Hi James, can you give me any more detailed impressions? How are they on rough roads/speedbumps and direction changes? Thanks,

·
Registered
124 Posts
Firstly I use the car daily so wanted a ride which was close to standard as possible, as I didn't want to loose ride height or comfort.
I have noticed a great improvement in stability, the car rolls less in corners and under heavy braking and acceleration very little movement. Over speed bumps not an issue either as the car park I park in daily has many of these!
Hope this helps

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Firstly I use the car daily so wanted a ride which was close to standard as possible, as I didn't want to loose ride height or comfort.
I have noticed a great improvement in stability, the car rolls less in corners and under heavy braking and acceleration very little movement. Over speed bumps not an issue either as the car park I park in daily has many of these!
Hope this helps
Thanks GTA James.

Maybe I should have gone with my gut feeling last year and bought the B6's instead of wimping out and getting the b4's.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
I had FSD and Eibachs. I decided to move the GT on as it was too harsh. Maybe FSD's are normal shocks would have been better, but there is a height issue. I had to mod the fork for the damper to sit lower, but solved the issue. In fact, it was too low should added a spaces, which also meant I could change the height when and if I needed.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
I've run the Koni FSD's and Eibach springs and Eibach anti-roll bars for 9 years on the 156 GTA. Been great. No issues. Compliant ride and perform well on all road conditions. Never felt the need to change from these. They were once the suspension set up of choice on the GTA, then they seemed to fall out of fashion.

Reactions: maxiboy wales

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had FSD and Eibachs. I decided to move the GT on as it was too harsh. Maybe FSD's are normal shocks would have been better, but there is a height issue. I had to mod the fork for the damper to sit lower, but solved the issue. In fact, it was too low should added a spaces, which also meant I could change the height when and if I needed.
Funny you should say this. When i fitted the B4's i noticed the strut was longer by about 10mm. This made it an absolute pig to re-assemble but i got there in the end. I didn't modify it and it didn't affect the ride height at all.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I have b6's and eibach pro springs on my old 156. They are harsh and not composed over very bumpy ground but handle fantastically. I can't complain as got them cheap 2nd hand.

The GT 3.2 has KW v1's. They are lovely, firm and give great feedback but more composed over bumpy ground. Given the choice of the 2 setups I would go with KW but am not unhappy with the bilsteins.

It depends what you want, I'm happy to sacrifice comfort for something I can chuck about- that goes for my daily driver and the GT 3.2.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Sorry to chime in so late, but is the B12 kit offered by Autolusso specially valved for daily driving? I'm looking for something firm, but not crashy. The B6 I have on my 156 is simply to harsh, that on the yellow painted lines (the thick ones to slow you down). EB Spares also offers a kit based on Bilsteins. KW V1 is high on my list though.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Whilst not all on the GT, I have had cheap coilovers, Koni and Bilstein Dampers, Eibach springs, H&R springs and KW V1 over the years. I'm VERY happy with the KW's and would be happy to buy them time and again.

·
Registered
310 Posts
In my experience:

B14 - way too stiff for street use
B16 - unreliable
KW V2/V3 - good
Intrax HDA/Autodelta Sportline - best

·
Vendor
47,150 Posts
In my experience:

B14 - way too stiff for street use
B16 - unreliable
KW V2/V3 - good
Intrax HDA/Autodelta Sportline - best
Intrax HDAs / Autodelta Sportline coilovers are indeed very good, possibly the best, I have them on my 156 GTA track car. I also have KW V3s on my Sportwagon (20v turbo coupe engine conversion), and its hard to say which gives the best ride/handling/adjustability, but I'd certainly have a lot more faith in the KWs for lasting a lot of road miles without failing.

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
I have B6s / Eibach springs on my 156 V6. Handles like a go kart, but too harsh.

The GTA has FSDs and Eibach springs. Meh. They’re OK from a comfort POV, but they aren’t “wow, so much better”.

The Dogwagon has Eibach Pro-kit coilovers - better than FSDs.

The GT has KWV3s on the the front, haven’t got round to doing the back yet. Way, way, better than anything else. The shocks feel like they have vanished, the car just handles and doesn’t rattle my teeth. Being coilovers, they avoid all the ride height issues (you can make it whatever you want) and the damping is adjustable.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I would probably say NO to bilsteins if no perfect roads in sight. They are quite harsh, both the b14s and the b16s.
As an alternative, i would go for either kw v1-v2, they are more suitable for all day use and deal quite good with sporty usage.
I went instead for some intrax hda fully refurbed kit, they are also stunning in terms for comfort and sporty use like trackdays and so on.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I can see V1 are getting a lot of love. Are they comfortable only relatively speaking considering they are coilovers? I'm not planning to do much (if any) track days so I'm not concerned too much about hardcore sportiness and would rather have something which doesn't require me having a physiotherapy every time I drive over a pothole and they don't have to be coilovers as well. Are V1s still the one for me? Or is there something else as well?

·
AO Detailing COTY Winner 2017
128 Posts
Have you considered the RHB (Rhoddy Harvey Bailey) re-valved Bilsteins? That's if you can source them but there may be some sets out there still.

I managed to find a set and in my opinion find they provide a really well judged ride with just the right amount of compliance and firmness. Perhaps a little fidgety feel on uneven surfaces but in a good way that lets you know they are ready for spirited driving.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts