Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

This is my first post, so I apologize for any wrong posting..

I would like to lower the rear of my 2002 156 GTA Sportwagon, but due to road standards, I would like to keep the front clearance at standard height. I also need coilovers with TUV approval to get them through Norwegian MOT. I was close to buying Intrax HDA's, but since they lack TUV it seems to be a nogo.

Can anyone suggest good coilovers (preferrably with adjustable damping) that have TUV papers, and can maintain standard height at front? I know this might seem foolish as the point of coilovers is (mainly) to lower the car, but I really need some clearance for most of my driving, but still want the adjustability.

When I browse through different coilovers (have been looking at KW V3 f.ex.), the lowering doesn't specificly state "GTA". How much lowering would the same coilovers have on a GTA compared to a "standard" 156? Or are the kits for the GTA's different so the millimeters lowering are correct? Hope I'm not making myself too unclear...

Daniel

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Hiya...

i think the Kw3,s are you best bet...
haven't fitted them myself but nothing but good reports..
my coil-overs will do standard height easily and do a lot lot lower but would also go over standard height by around 20/30mm if i wanted.. but this is down to spring height rather than coil over strut usually

i think you will be fine with the Kw,3 though someone on here with a set might be able to offer better advice

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
You will not have enough ground clearence with KW's. I have Version 1 (non adjustable) and the fronts are just a few mm lower than standard and almost at the highest setting. The KW's are really excellent but you (and probably me) do need longer springs. The rears are not an problem and there is an adequate amount of adjustment, but KW got it wrong on the front.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You will not have enough ground clearence with KW's. I have Version 1 (non adjustable) and the fronts are just a few mm lower than standard and almost at the highest setting. The KW's are really excellent but you (and probably me) do need longer springs. The rears are not an problem and there is an adequate amount of adjustment, but KW got it wrong on the front.
Hi Toxic,

Would it be possible to get back to standard ground clearance if you set it to the absolute highest setting? How many mm lower do you think it is? If I could choose I would probably go for the KW1's...

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Yes, Id agree, mine are Zeatek Z8s, rebranded V1s as I understand it. Lots of adjustment but it's at a point in the strut too low. I initially set it midway and the car was almost on the floor. I've moved it up and its still too low. Needs moved up another 10-15 mm. That's probably only 10mm from top.

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Yes, Id agree, mine are Zeatek Z8s, rebranded V1s as I understand it. Lots of adjustment but it's at a point in the strut too low. I initially set it midway and the car was almost on the floor. I've moved it up and its still too low. Needs moved up another 10-15 mm. That's probably only 10mm from top.
whats the length of the Kw springs.. iirc mine are 200mm long on the front and with BC racing you can go 40mm higher and around 100mm lower with ease.. but did lower springs rates from 10kg to 8kg on the new springs

1 - 7 of 7 Posts