Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm having trouble buying a FK coilover kit because they're listed on many vendors' sites but don't seem to exist in reality...

Do you know if I could buy a kit for other Tipo-based cars like Alfa 155 or Fiat Coupé and fit that in the front and figure out some other solution in the back (where I presume the 916 is unique)?

There are lots of manufacturers that make kits for the 155, for example, so it would be a smooth solution...

·
Vendor
47,393 Posts
155 TS 16v should be the same as GTV TS 16v. There are variations on the diameter of the hub carrier, and thus the gap in the bracket that is part of the bottom of the shock.

I don't know what you'll do at the back though, don't think there is many options. Have you looked at KW?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
155 TS 16v should be the same as GTV TS 16v. There are variations on the diameter of the hub carrier, and thus the gap in the bracket that is part of the bottom of the shock.

I don't know what you'll do at the back though, don't think there is many options. Have you looked at KW?
Yep, most Tipo cars have the narrower hub carrier, 25 mm. For example, all Fiat Coupé models except the 20VT has the 25 mm hub carrier according to FCCUK. :)
User GTV-TB posted some more detailed info about it on Squadra916.

At the back, I'll have to work with 916-specific stuff. The emergency solution, if it turns out that I can't get a full coilover kit from FK or the like, is to use Koni shocks and lowering springs at the back, but... It's hard to buy the springs in pairs. Guess I'll be stuck with a front pair that I have no use for.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The KW kits may be very well put together but they are simply not advanced enough. The height adjustment affects the spring pre-tension, there are no camber plates (only Fiat Coupé kits seem to have those, oddly enough), the rear isn't even height adjustable and the kits are twice as expensive as FK etc. It's HotBits or maybe even Intrax money, which is... not much of a selling point.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
I've also experienced this lack of FK availability/manning the stations if you will.

The local dealer for FK says that FK does not have the kit in stock, but when i go to the German website I see the GTV 3.0 kit...not only discounted, but in stock as well. My only option then is to mail them, but nope...no reply.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've also experienced this lack of FK availability/manning the stations if you will.

The local dealer for FK says that FK does not have the kit in stock, but when i go to the German website I see the GTV 3.0 kit...not only discounted, but in stock as well. My only option then is to mail them, but nope...no reply.
Unfortunately, FK has stopped producing them according to an email reply I got today.
A representative in their Export Department says that the "kit is not in production. I do not know if there are any plans to re-start this item in production...".

What to do now...

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Are you also having a similar thread over on Squadra916? I followed that thread and instead of trying to fit 155 and Fiat Coupe versions to the car...our options would either be:
1) Buy the KW kit - too expensive but one can always save!
2) Buy the LowTec kit which is not what you want to do but I want to do...I'm only concerned with lowering/raising

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
How many times have I posted this??????

I'd forget coil overs, they're not worth the hassle......unless going racing....proper racing...not going for a quick blast to the shops or country pub. They may be fine on smooth dual carriageways & motorways but where's the fun in driving on those roads? I'd rather be in a Jag, or similar, if they're the roads to drive.

New standard spec springs & shocks are the best for these cars.

Even Eibachs give a hard ride....with or without Konis Sports.....on whatever setting you like. But if you want the lowered look then they're the best alternative.

My FKs also altered the spring rate when adjusting the ride height,....not what you want or need....., rears were adjustable as well. On single track country/rural roads/lanes when set to their most comfortable softest/lowest setting the car's belly was hitting the centre of the road, when adjusted higher, at speed, the wheels were off the tarmac every time you hit a bump!!!! I junked them.

Clive

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Clive what is the exact setup of that red GTV with cup kit and 17" Tele's you have?

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Yes...spacifically the

Cupalike black leather silver teledials and the Cupalike black leather black teledials pic.

They are VERY low but sit so nice! I want that look, the exact look. The body on the tyre with little to no fender gap.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
No pain, no gain?

Yes...spacifically the

Cupalike black leather silver teledials and the Cupalike black leather black teledials pic.

They are VERY low but sit so nice! I want that look, the exact look. The body on the tyre with little to no fender gap.
In that case I expect you'll like look in the pic below?

Same car throughout, both pics with silver Teles are FK coil overs with new KYB rear shocks, black Teles are -30 Apex springs with new std fr shocks + KYB rears.

The car looks great but, if I'm honest, drove like a piece of sh*t. I then fitted 18s which don't feel any harder than the 17" Teles. I tried -30 PI springs but still far too hard, again I thought I liked it but the novelty soon wore off. Eventually I changed to -20 Eibachs which are slightly more acceptable comfort wise but don't quite give the desired look.

I've currently got one on 17" Teles, Eibachs & Koni Sport but I'm thinking of changing that to std springs....the roads around here are diabolical....better off in a 4x4...even my Jag's on 18s!

If only someone made a lowering spring that had some give in it but they don't. The GTV's std suspension has such a small amount of movement as soon as you lower you lose the initial 'soft' spring effect & are on the bump stops, which although they still compress the springs are getting tighter/harder all the time.

I had one with PI -30s, the ones I took off G6, but with 16s on std 205/50s & it was surprising comfortable. I then changed it to 17" Teles, sold it & within a month the customer changed to Eibachs & they said they liked the ride when they bought it. It doesn't take long for the hard ride to become tiresome.

If you want the look then suffer the pain......or at least run 16s for some comfort & with 55 profiles to help fill the arches.

Clive

Attachments

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Ah...I really like it and I know you've been saying this for a long time and I agree.

I'll most probably get H&R springs as they are -30mm and just buy standard shocks for the front. I really like the way the GTV drives now, but its far too high for my liking.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'd forget coil overs, they're not worth the hassle......unless going racing....proper racing...not going for a quick blast to the shops or country pub. They may be fine on smooth dual carriageways & motorways but where's the fun in driving on those roads? I'd rather be in a Jag, or similar, if they're the roads to drive.

New standard spec springs & shocks are the best for these cars.

Even Eibachs give a hard ride....with or without Konis Sports.....on whatever setting you like. But if you want the lowered look then they're the best alternative.

My FKs also altered the spring rate when adjusting the ride height,....not what you want or need....., rears were adjustable as well. On single track country/rural roads/lanes when set to their most comfortable softest/lowest setting the car's belly was hitting the centre of the road, when adjusted higher, at speed, the wheels were off the tarmac every time you hit a bump!!!! I junked them.

Clive
I use my car for windy roads and trackdays, so that's why I tried to get a set of coilovers.
New standard spec shocks and Eibachs wouldn't do the car justice I think, even though it would be a considerable improvement over the worn out ones it's sitting on at the moment. Looks like it's gonna be a £1000+ affair regardless of whether I go down the Koni Sport + Eibach path or the "combine a bit of this and a bit of that-coilover" path. Just gotta figure out where I'll get the most out of that money.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Yes...spacifically the

S'funny.. I much prefer an even gap from tyre to arch - like concentric circles. I hate it when the wheels tuck up inside the arch lip.

Must be an age thing... :rolleyes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts