Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

Generally my 146 2.0Ti runs fine and starts instantly whatever the weather. However, this morning I went to start her and the yellow CODE and red injector light both remained on when I turned the key. She cranks no problem but won't fire. I can hear the fuel pump kick in when the key is turned, the red injector light comes on, blinks off and then comes on again permanently.

I've checked, re-seated and wiggled the fuses by the battery (also known as the BBOB if I remember correctly?!), checked the other fuses by the drivers footwell and tried the maroon master key, all to no avail.

Am I right in saying I should try disconnecting the battery (-ve first) then connecting the metal ends of the +ve and -ve together for 20 mins or so? The code light remains constant, not flashing, so do I need to turn the key to MAR for 5 minutes as well?

Failing this, could it be the transponder aerial round the ignition barrel? If so, where can I get one of those? Is it the same as the ones used in 155's/156's/166's etc, as this would open up my search field significantly!

Thanks in advance, i'm sure there's many of you clever people out there who know the answer!

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
You're on the right lines, although you shouldn't need to short out the battery cables for more than a few seconds.....electricity moves pretty quickly.....

Also try unplugging and reconnecting, possibly a few times, both the connectors into the code box - this can clear problems....

IIRC the aerial for the 145/146 is slightly different from that for 155 and 156....I'll have a few about if you need one.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great, thanks for your advice!
Is the code box the yellow box behind the headlight leveler switch - to the right of the steering wheel?

·
Registered
1,503 Posts

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
Also check the relays in front of the battery, they corrode up on the terminals and this gives you the fault you have.

·
Registered
1 Posts
alfa romeo 146

hi i have an alfa romeo 146,and it won't start showing a yellow code on the dashboard tried to diconnect the battery with no luck,also the fan wont cut off when the temperature goes high above 90 degrees.pliz help me thank u

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies so far - much appreciated!

So, the BBOB is rightly named. Whilst cleaning the contacts on the far right relay holder the contacts and plug literally disintegrated in my hands. Oh dear. Things seem to be going from bad to worse...

So, my next question is, can you get the black plastic relay holders that the wires go into so I can replace that (and probably the other 3 as well!) relay holder? Or am I now totally screwed?!

Once again, thanks and look forward to the replies!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts