Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
11,000miles on and I am getting several cockpit rattles. I can identify one is definately the roof light console however there is something in the dash rattling and something to the left of me rattling about too. Do I need to get the dealer to fix these and do they charge for it? I usually struggle for time so is there anything I can try at home?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Not usre if I know which rattles you have there but in answer to your question, the dealer should try and fix these, my dealer has fixed a lot of mine, and there were quite a few! I still have the odd one but they dont seem to be able to hear them..... a lot of my rattles were down to the door seals and after a spray of silicon they seem to have fixed them.

I have a rattling bouncing passenger seat back at the moment but they said they will charge me to investigate that as im in my 3rd year of warranty, ive told them that i am not paying for anything and there service manager has already told me they would not charge for this but he has moved to another part of the same dealer group! ARUK told me the dealer warranty covers the same stuff as the first 2 years but the dealer does not seem so sure!:rolleyes:

P

·
0 Posts
bcampbell, i too have a similar rattle around the light console (just picked up car yesterday). I think mine is coming from the unit that houses the rain/light sensors behind the rear view mirror. Keep me posted if you track it down and get a cure...

·
Registered
19,680 Posts
Reasonably common rattles were (are) the rear-view mirror assembly, which has more of a buzz than a rattle, and the windscreen creak, which sounds like it's coming from the dash. The mirror buzz is fixed by replacing the mirror unit, although I believe Hunter fixed his with some silicon lube. The windscreen rattle is fixed by liberally applying silicon lube under the rubber seal between the roof of the car and the windscreen (on the outside of the car).

Occasionally the cover of the fuse box, beneath and to the right of the steering wheel, creaks but only after it's been opened for a service and it always settles down on its own. Might be worth tightening the bolt that holds it shut.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
I've got a few in mine too. One from the passenger side somewhere and one from the centre of the dash.

Not had the time or inclanation to look at them though but will get around to it soon.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have a rattling bouncing passenger seat back at the moment
Johns159, are you sure this isnt the seat belt buckle rubbing / rattling on the seat back. I get this every time the missis (but no one else oddly) has been in the passenger seat. The buckle sometimes doesn't return fully to the side of the seat and just neads straightening. Worth a try before getting too wound up.

Does anyone get a sort of twanginging rattle from behind the centre console? A bit like twanging a ruller on a desk. I get it it when i drive over rough ground or speed humps etc, unavoidable in B'ham. It can be replicated by bashing the top of the dash.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Harborneowl,

Yes i have the seat belt buckle rattling on the b-pillar if its 90deg out of position, but the seat back physically shakes in certain positions and if the head restraint is anything other than fully down against the seat that then shakes as well, head rest feels really loose in seat as if there is very little guidance for it..... seats are electric and if i change angle slightly it seems ok but when its shaking you can rock the seat back backwards and forward, there is a lot of play in the mechanism i think.....

·
Registered
185 Posts
My 08 159SW has one rattle which dorve me mad for a couple of day's

The first time my wife rode in the car she quickly tracked it to the auto dipping rear view mirror

Switched it off and the rattle stoppped never to return

Will get a new one fitted under warranty at the next service

Other than excessive road noise, the car is rattle and squeek free

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Whilst on the subject of cabin noise, SORRY I'LL SPEAK A BIT LOUDER!:lol:

I had (still have) a creaking/squeaking noise from the rear end of the car, I now know what it is but it had be baffled for a while, its the rubber strip on the boot roller cover assembly rubbing on the rear of the rear seat. Must get some silicon on it.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
"Other than excessive road noise, the car is rattle and squeek free"

Excessive road noise? Your kidding! What tyres are you on?

·
Registered
185 Posts
"Other than excessive road noise, the car is rattle and squeek free"

Excessive road noise? Your kidding! What tyres are you on?
Bridgestone RE050A 17" standard fitment at 39psi checked weekly

I dread every concrete road, A12 and M25 are so NOISY......

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
I would say my 159 SW was very quiet, concrete roads are another thing though, is ANY car quiet on concrete?

Incidentally I'm on Pzero Rossos, 17 inch wheels

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well that may explain a lot :eek: 39psi fronts and 36psi rear. Whenever I check mine they are always 29psi though i haven't checked them since it was serviced recently.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Well that may explain a lot :eek: 39psi fronts and 36psi rear. Whenever I check mine they are always 29psi though i haven't checked them since it was serviced recently.
I check mine every week, its surprising what the change can be when the weather warms or cools dramatically

1 - 19 of 19 Posts