Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The clutch 'bite' on my V6 is right at the top of the pedal, whereas the 16v is right at the very bottom.

This usually means I stall the 16v after driving the V6, and slip the clutch on the V6 after driving the 16v.

Is everyone elses V6 pedal at the top? As for the 16v, I expect to be replacing the clutch soon by the way it feels, it has a slight judder from time to time. However it would be nice to know that I won't have to do the V6 at the same time......Thanks.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Tim,

Have you driven any other a55s? I'm on my third 2.0, and the clutch was different on all of them. There may be more variation between cars than specific models.

Probably worth trying a drive in someone else's before doing the work.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Tim

The bite on my 16v has changed (as you'd expect), I though it was ready for changing a couple of years back but is still going strong at 95k.

Again thought the V6 was ready almost when I bought it but 20k and a year later its still ok but does slip if I mess up a quick start or drive around Matlock too much :rolleyes:

wrinx

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
My friend bouught Curvetures trusty V6 and found thatthe clutch bit very high. Solution? New clutch. eek!

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My V6 also bites at the top,was worried that it may die soon, but it seems from these posts that its a V6 trait :confused:
Also sometimes when i depress the clutch pedal, it'll stop halfway down,i give it a bit more pressure and i hear a clunk and then it goes down.
After this i pump it a few more times and its fine.
feels like the clutch cable is sticking,so where can i find the cable in the engine bay to lubricate it,i think its under the battery, but would like confirmation on this :)

:D skinnyV6 :D

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Tony you`ll spend a long time looking for the clutch cable.........

............Its Hydraulic

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tony24:
it'll stop halfway down,i give it a bit more pressure and i hear a clunk and then it goes down.
errrrrrrr this sounds like the bearing is making its way through the pressure plate... eek! eek!

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well Well....i'm learning more about my 155 each day!

The Bearing?? Nooooooooooo eek! eek! eek! eek!

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Doesn't happen all the time, just the odd occasion and it seems to be getting less the more i drive the car.
If it was the bearing would it be a constant thing with the clunking :confused:

:D skinnyV6 :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
My clutch in my v6 bites at the top and
slips like buggery when i pull away quick,(not good at traffic light races!).I am having one put in this week,i would do it myself as i'm a mechanic but i've heard its a b*****d job!.It does sound like you have release bearing issues, sounds like it could be dry on you gearbox input shaft and sticking.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Suspect my clutch is showing the first signs of being on its way out. When engaging first or reverse I can feel a little movement, presume the clutch is dragging a bit :(

I read somewhere the V6 clutch is not the strongest and prone to slipping when abused wink

wrinx

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Hi mkhv6,

As matey boy "sanitary" will tell you, a v6 clutch change is indeed a bit of a bugger. Alwyn Kershaws (reputable bloke) quotes 5-7 hours. You may be a mechanic but I hope you have a good workshop!

While you are at it, change the oil filter seeing as you are dropping the exaust manifold anyway wink Its a much nicer job without the exhaust in the way :D

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Did the clutch on mine just before Christmas and didnt drop the exhaust manifold off

It was pretty easy to do except for the top starter bolt which was a c..t to get off
had to take oil filter off and use and a long bar with wobbly socket on the end to get it out

Apart from that the rest was straight forward similar to doing any FWD clutch think it took me about 4 hours in all

If its any help to anyone Curvature had V6 clutch for sale a while ago think he still gets on AO might be worth a PM to save yourselves a few quid

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Chris,
the clutch probably wouldn't be a problem
for me but as most mechanics will you,after working on vehicles all week,the last thing
you want to do is work on your own!.Mine is being
done by a guy in Westbury called Alan Bennet, he
runs Benalfa cars and there is nothing he doesn't
know about Alfa's.Anyway i get the clutch free through work so its only labour.Must go as my new
oz superleggaras have arrived!.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Tim, there was no change in the clutch in the 30k miles I had it - always bit at the top.

My 164 TS was the same & the 166 is also...

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Sorry speedfreak,
I meant disconnect the exaust from the manifold, not actually remove the manifold :rolleyes:
I should be more precise!

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Curvature never mentioned a clutch when I bought the car?????
:confused:

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Chris dont worry about it just me being pickey :rolleyes:

Sanitary When curvature sold his 155 he tried to sell me a new clutch kit for it and a door mirror

Btw i bought the door mirror but not the clutch send him a PM he might still have it think he`s over on Alfaowner now with the 156 boys

·
Registered
18 Posts
Got the beast back last thursday with new
clutch fitted,it is now lighter than the throttle
and bites halfway up.It doesnt slip at all and from a stand still it just goes rapidly forward.
In case you are all wondering the make of clutch
was a sach's and it was £137

1 - 20 of 21 Posts