Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am using a 2.0 2001 t.s engine from a GTV in a 147 any body know what clutch I should fit as the g/box is a 147 and has the concentic slave/bearing and the GTV of that age appears to have the old style set up? Will one work with the other or do I need to make a modification? Is there a difference in the cover depth, travel or hole diameter in the cover that stops one working with the other? :eek:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Has nobody any ideas I know there is a slight difference in plate size but not been able to find out if the covers are different:confused:

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
You'll need to fit a 147-style clutch assembly - the GTV one won't work. If I were you whilst you are doing the change I'd fit a new slave cylinder too, as if it fails subsequently its another gearbox out job to replace it.

Sorry if this isn't what you want to hear......

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes they look the same but only have the box off of the 147 so did not want to put it together to then realise that a small difference meant that it would not work and be unsure of why and have to take it apart? I take it from the answers that both clutch covers are the same except for the plate.I do intend to change the whole thing and that was another reason for asking before ordering a new clutch this week ..? Thanks for your help :thumbs: I had no idea if the travel of the bearing and actuator was the same in each box that was my main problem have assumed things like this before only to find a small difference can cause a large problem! :cry:

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
To be clear its a major difference - as you say the GTV uses a traditional external clutch release arm, whereas the 147 is an internal concentric release system....so although it appears that the driven plate can be the same Eper shows the part number 46550936 for late versions of the GTV (CF3 and JTS) and the 147, the pressure plate is significantly different.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Hi,rgwm you may well be right but from my limited experience the 1.6 was different to the 1.8 or 2.0 litre clutch in terms of diameter but the release bearing albeit concentric or slave made no difference to the cover or pressure plate ive mixed and matched for years.Ive not got my head in the sand so im keen to be educated.To put it another way the same cover is used whether its a "normal" release bearing or concentric.They differ when its a pull clutch.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is very interesting so is the depth of the clutch plate centre deeper in one to the other or is it just plate diameter ? I will take both off tomorrow and try and measure them accurately! Very curious tho as there is about 3 or 4 different diameters going from the 75 155 156mk 1 156 fl GTV ph1 GTVph2 and 147 ?.?? This is not a cost saving issue just a little confused however there is a significant price between some of the clutches regardless of the bearing/concentric bearing? Curious ! Silly question at this point but I take it the 147 box will go on the Gtv engine?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
The 147 and 156 box are the same relative to engine size re ratios etc its the external linkage that varies the gtv/ spider box is similar but not the same. Clutch types are a different matter.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so the box is the same . Both the engine and gearbox are 2.0 tS both are 2001 I can see the blanked off parts in the housing where the lever would normally be and the blanks on the outside where the slave cylinder would have been that's why I assumed it would be ok. So I really need to check the centre thickness of the cover and plate is that right?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is the issue just to use the concentric unit because of the fitment on the car ie: the push fit pipe end or the actual travel from the actuator to the cover is different? Therefore the clutch itself is different ?sorry hope I'm not making this more confusing than it needs to be ? Cheers

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"I,m not helping much am I" :cheese: anyone else confused?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Right here's the thing I have a car that I have a replacement engine for I have no idea what if anything is wrong with the car not had it running at all. I need to put it back together to see what is what not to drive and use (needs M.O.T) but to see what else needs sorting to make it useable so just to test the rest which clutch do I put back in to fire it up It is just until I know the engine I have rebelted works and don't have any other issues I do not want to spend another £150 on a new clutch It needs bushes and stuff but need to make sure the thing runs first ? Bought it as a non runner !! Have no idea if either of the clutches are any good that is the problem? :thumbs:

·
Vendor
46,131 Posts
147 TS always used a concentric slave regardless of if it was a 1.6 or 2.0 and whether it was 2000 registered or 2010 registered. The only 147 Twinspark that uses a normal release bearing is the Selespeed so this may be what is confusing the issue.

It doesn't matter what model the engine has come from, you are installing it into a 147 with a 147 gearbox so you must use a 147 clutch, the normal clutch kit for your car is a two piece, the concentric slave cylinder is something you buy separately. If you don't want to buy any more parts then just feel to see if the old concentric slave's bearing feels OK and if it is, then you're OK to re-use it. It may leak in the future, if it does you'll have to replace it but thats the risk you take when re-using an old one. You should use the clutch cover plate and clutch friction disc that come off the old broken engine you're taking out.

I think the confusion comes down to the Selespeed clutch kit for the 147 - its actually the same part as found in the GTV 2.0 TS manual.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you once again you 'be been invaluable just sorry about the pm but was very confused I know that It will need a clutch at some point just need to get off the stands to chek the engine is ok don't like being the shoe string but not any choice at the mo brill thank you :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts