Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a brief bit of clutch slippage when putting my foot down in 4th or above, gear change is fine. The car's on 104k miles now, I've had it since 56k and have mostly done motorway miles. Does this sound like a worn clutch or could it be something else? I haven't been using it much lately as I've been working from home a lot. I guess it is a fairly torquey engine.

I've had similar with a Golf MkIV 1.9tdi, but found when I started using it more the clutch settled down.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I'm getting a brief bit of clutch slippage when putting my foot down in 4th or above, gear change is fine. The car's on 104k miles now, I've had it since 56k and have mostly done motorway miles. Does this sound like a worn clutch or could it be something else? I haven't been using it much lately as I've been working from home a lot. I guess it is a fairly torquey engine.

I've had similar with a Golf MkIV 1.9tdi, but found when I started using it more the clutch settled down.
It does sound like the typical symptoms of worn clutch. I had a similar issue but also found the clutch pedal was slow releasing and on one occasion stuck down. I replaced the Clutch master cylinder on the pedal (easy job), bled the fluid and both issues disappeared.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does sound like the typical symptoms of worn clutch. I had a similar issue but also found the clutch pedal was slow releasing and on one occasion stuck down. I replaced the Clutch master cylinder on the pedal (easy job), bled the fluid and both issues disappeared.
Well, Fairly often I try to engage cruise control but it doesn't, I have to tap the clutch pedal as if to release it before cruise will engage. I suppose that's more of a switch issue really, clutching at straws)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Interesting! Did you replace the clutch too or just the master cylinder please though as I'm not clear from what you say? I have a little clutch slip but at random times - fine for weeks but then bad for a few days, etc. Also, the clutch pedal sometimes doesn't return fully. Thought I probably need a replacement clutch but maybe its just a master cylinder (he said hopefully!)

·
Registered
307 Posts
Interesting! Did you replace the clutch too or just the master cylinder please though as I'm not clear from what you say? I have a little clutch slip but at random times - fine for weeks but then bad for a few days, etc. Also, the clutch pedal sometimes doesn't return fully. Thought I probably need a replacement clutch but maybe its just a master cylinder (he said hopefully!)
Exactly the same issues I had, I just replaced the cylinder, im on the original clutch etc still. The cylinder is only held on with 2 bolts/nuts behind the clutch pedal, it made an immense difference when done. The part is about £35, wierdly its made in Germany, darn german parts!! There is now a guide how to change it on the alfaworkshop site.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Exactly the same issues I had, I just replaced the cylinder, im on the original clutch etc still. The cylinder is only held on with 2 bolts/nuts behind the clutch pedal, it made an immense difference when done. The part is about £35, wierdly its made in Germany, darn german parts!! There is now a guide how to change it on the alfaworkshop site.
Wow, I really thought I was looking at a complete new clutch and the ££££ that would cost....very happy I read this post :big laugh: Thank you :thumbup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts