Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a weekend driving round the rolling countryside on A roads, I have noticed that on hills I seem to get momentary clutch slip, i.e. the revs jump up then come back down. Drove home gently and still got a little jump going up Holden Hill. I suspect a clutch problem (yes yet another problem, just had the alternator done). Am I right, and how much to put right?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Could well be... It should get progressively worse if it is the clutch though over the coming miles...

As the old saying goes...stir the box! Drop down the cogs to gain ground quickly!

It's possible the previous owners have left it on whatever high gear they were in and used the masses of torque to accelerate, instead of changing down. Quickest way to destroy the box!

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
1.9JTD - miserably weak clutch = slippage at anything from 25,000 miles onwards depending on how its been driven.

Caught now it will cost you a new clutch, left for a few more weeks and you will probably need a dual mass flywheel as well.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Top gear acceleration puts alot more load on the clutch than a hill start. Full turbo boost & wind resistance vs ...erm...pulling away :)

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
As I do quite a lot of urban driving at low speeds, chances of nursing it along for a bit?
Yeah it could well last a good while longer, slowly slipping more and more, but the worse it gets the more strain your putting on the DMF, and that will only make matters a lot more expensive in the long run.

If it was me... as they say prevention is better than cure, so if funds allow get it looked at sooner rather than later!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Are you in warranty?

I got my clutch done with only 12 weeks of warranty to go, turned out to be a fault with the pressure plate not causing the clutch to engage properly!

·
Registered
12 Posts
For Local it will be ok

It should be fine, I drove my car back from The Netherlands to U.K with the same problem it will need changing however it will work as long as you are gentle with the right pedal"however it will be more thirsty", but for Local driving if I drive normal it is as if nothing ever happen?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now driving like a retired vicar, just had the kitchen redone, and replaced alternator just before christmas as well. Another big bill is the last thing I need

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Now driving like a retired vicar, just had the kitchen redone, and replaced alternator just before christmas as well. Another big bill is the last thing I need
Ouch I feel your pain fella! Always the way though... As they say... No pain = No gain!

I'm a strong believer though that if you're in it for the long term i.e. keeping it for a few years, then it will be worth the outlay and hopefully won't give you much more trouble!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Much more trouble!!! In the two tears I've had it its gone through:

Battery
MAF Sensor
Main Body Computer
Electronic Steering Lock
Rear Discs & Pads
EGR
Track rod ends