Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need to replace my current clutch slave cylinder, can anyone tell me how to go about this please or point me in the right direction of a how to guide?

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Er - slacken the hydraulic hose, undo the two 13mm bolts holding the slave to the gearbox, unscrew the hydraulic pipe completely and screw it back into the new cylinder, to almost tight, bolt new slave back onto gearbox, nip up hydraulic pipe, bleed slave cylinder......

A lot easier on a GTV than on a 145/6 or 155 'cos you don't need to remove the battery tray.

·
Registered
447 Posts
It's not actually that hard to do, I have minimal mechanic experience and managed it ok.

Main Problems:
You have to remove the air intake tubing, if it's got the original clips on it you may need to buy some new jubilee clips to replace em (70mm ones)

Getting everything to hold in place while compressing the piston is fiddly but doable.

If you dont have an eezi bleed then bleeding it after can be a bit of a pain, not sure if it's normal but my clutch pedal was flat to the floor after replacing, had to pull it up, then push it down.

Oh the electrical connections that are on the place thats attached to it come off.. bend em kinda backwards.

·
Registered
447 Posts
There's a bleed nipple on the cylinder itself, I used one of those cheapo halfords pipes with a one-way valve into a pot of brake fluid, open nipple, push clutch, close nipple, repeat until no air's coming out.

·
Registered
447 Posts
7mm spanner (might have to buy one.. neither of my spanner sets had one!) open is undo :)

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Hello, 7mm open ended spanner... Very annoying size, I didn't have one.

You need a partner, don't do it without. Get them to pull up the pedal with hands.

You open the nipple by unscrewing it a very small amount and then tell the assistant to push the pedal down and up a few times.

Fluid should spew out like a bad movie and this will fill the slave cylinder but now there are little air bubbles sitting around in the cylinder and pipe.

So to finish the job you tighten the nipple (just nip it up with fingers) and assistant will push the pedal again.

Your job is to open the nipple only when the pedal is moving downwards.

Usually fun job with lots of shouting to one another. Generally you need to tell them to push then they shout when the pedal is down.

Its easier to do it than to explain on a forum!!!

At all times ensure the reservoir is filled up.

Don't worry if it gets on your hands etc its only slightly harmful.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Open is unscrewed (anti clockwise), closed is screwed up (clockwise).

Don't worry about messing it up a few times, you will probably get there in the end and your clutch will work again.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Hello, 7mm open ended spanner... Very annoying size, I didn't have one.
Rather than use a normal open-ended spanner, it is far better to use a proper brake nipple spanner to avoid rounding off.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I found my 5 year old daughter followed instructions with the pedal much better than anyone else, done in 5 minutes, expect the fluid that comes out to be horrible and black.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Sorry for once I disagree... Opening and closing the nipple takes no tightening force... finger tight or careful nip with spanner.

Final tightening should be done carefully and not too tight. Don't need any special tool.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Luckily when your replacing the clutch slave cylinder.. it has a brand new one attached :) you dont have any problems with stuck or rounded nipples :)

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Oh yeh rusty old ones is a different story!!! Don't do them up too tight or you may regret it in 5 years. If you want to be proper you can use a deep 7mm socket and torque wrench up to 9-12 Nm.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts