Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive noticed a strange characteristic with my 156,

When driving normally the clutch bites around the 3/4 mark which is fine.

When driving in traffic for a prolonged period the bite point drops to around the 1/4 mark and there is noticable slack in the pedal.

I know thsis has been mentioned before so...

Is this defiantly the slave cylinder? if so is it possible for this to suddenly fail? considering its intermittent im not too concerned about it.

Its a 2.0 TS, how easy is the job, it it really a gearbox out one? anyone managed to do it?

cheers :)

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Sounds like a slave cylinder fault. If it's one that is located in the bell-housing, gearbox out, but if its on top of the housing, pretty straightforward repair.:):

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Beats me how a clutch slave cylinder can suffer from boiling-up potential?:rolleyes: Ok, all veggie based fluids are hygroscopic, if that's what you mean by contamination, but the tapered seals eventually degrade in all the hydraulic systems with age, including braking as well as clutch? Bleeding is rarely a long-term fix?:(:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Intresting, i'll change the fluid first then to try eliminating the problem.

Where is the bleed valve? is it easy to access?

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Using the clutch a lot in traffic will get the whole assembly very hot, if the fluid is old i would have though its certainly possible for it to overheat. Anyhow, its an easy thing to eliminate before going to the expemse of taking the gearbox out.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Considering its a problem that rectifys once out of traffic is it reasonable to presume that the slave cylinder is not the problem? Wouldnt air being sucked into the system present as a perment or gradual worsening of symptoms?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts