Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My clutch biting point is rite at the top of the pedal can you adjust it? also under load in a high gear somtime (not that often realy!) the clutch will start to slip a little just for a second or so but its only been doing it since I removed the cat and had my S/S exhaust made so is it just the extra power (there was a hell of a differance!) or is it shot?

somtimes there isnt a defanate bite when I change gear but if I put the car in gear (high gear/revs) with the hand brake on the car stalls and no cluch slip.......:(:confused:

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
My clutch used to bite at the top and slip under load ... until I lubed the release mechanism .... now it doesn't and hasn't for the last 20K miles.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Biffa has the correct answer I fear :( though it cant hurt to lube the clutch as it is REALY stiff maybe that will buy me a few more weeks (why is there no emocon for someone sat in a corner crying eating a big cream cake! :p)

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I think that a seized up release mechanism could combine with the hydraulics to produce a high bite point. Basically the stiff mechanism will sit at the point where friction overwhelms clutch springs, and enough friction will mean the clutch is not fully clamped by spring pressure. This will cause it to slip under load, and the lost mechanism movement will be compensated by the hydraulic master/slave system pulling in more fluid. That will result in a bite point right at the top of the pedal travel and a perfect simulation of worn out lining. Of course if this is allowed to persist, slipping will soon kill the clutch... All mere theory, but explains Alexei's experience and suggests that 2p of oil is worth a try.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I think that a seized up release mechanism could combine with the hydraulics to produce a high bite point. Basically the stiff mechanism will sit at the point where friction overwhelms clutch springs, and enough friction will mean the clutch is not fully clamped by spring pressure. This will cause it to slip under load, and the lost mechanism movement will be compensated by the hydraulic master/slave system pulling in more fluid. That will result in a bite point right at the top of the pedal travel and a perfect simulation of worn out lining. Of course if this is allowed to persist, slipping will soon kill the clutch... All mere theory, but explains Alexei's experience and suggests that 2p of oil is worth a try.
That's exactly what I found. You'll probably also find you only have to put slight pressure on the clutch pedal (without really moving the pedal) when accelerating and it will slip easily.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's exactly what I found. You'll probably also find you only have to put slight pressure on the clutch pedal (without really moving the pedal) when accelerating and it will slip easily.
yep I do find if I just rest my foot on it with no pressure as such it will slip....... also my cluch takes half a second to work and it feels like a slow clutch.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
You could try spraying WD40 around the top of the lever arm to see if that makes a difference. It seemed to improve things in my case. You can do this without dismantling anything, just aim down behind the back of the battery with the straw thing that comes with the can.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well I may shop around for quotes for a new clutch then if I could get one fitted for about £350 ish I could get it done this month but I doubt it as I already need alot of stuff done :(

·
Vendor
45,777 Posts
If you push your luck to much it might not be just a clutch you going to need to replace.
Thats a good point, I remember not long after I first started working with Alfas I drove a bloke to the station in his 2.5 V6 which he'd dropped off for a cambelt service, the clutch was properly stiff. We advised it probably needed a clutch change, but in the end the customer just had us do the belt service. A year later it came in for an annual service, and it had two nasty oil leaks, one from either crank seal.. You guessed it.. :(

It went in the Bone Yard later that day.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Reading this I'm ashamed to say I don't know what is meant by "the clutch biting at the top of the pedal", Does it mean when you first apply pressure to the pedal or when the pedal is fully pressed down and the clutch then bites as soon as you begin to release foot pressure?

Yours confused,

dc

·
Vendor
45,777 Posts
Reading this I'm ashamed to say I don't know what is meant by "the clutch biting at the top of the pedal", Does it mean when you first apply pressure to the pedal or when the pedal is fully pressed down and the clutch then bites as soon as you begin to release foot pressure?

Yours confused,

dc
Top of the travel means the bite point is almost when your foot is completely off the pedal, and is usually down to a worn clutch. Biting with your foot just off the floor is usually a hydraulic problem.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts