Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to locate a clutch return spring for my ph2 3.0 V6 .

I can't seem to find one of them anywhere, and breakers don't seem to have them!

Any thoughts?

The reason for replacement is that it clicks when lifting the clutch.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Clicking when lifting the clutch may not be the spring.
Is yours clicking (sound) when lifting the clutch or does it become stuck half way when lifting?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Not sticking, just on the way up it clicks.
If you put your head in the footwell you will see from memory a grey plastic cylinder. Numeral three,seven, and six in the picture. This is connected to the pedal at one end and something else at the other. It clicks every time the clutch is depressed. Just remove it.

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you put your head in the footwell you will see from memory a grey plastic cylinder. Numeral three,seven, and six in the picture. This is connected to the pedal at one end and something else at the other. It clicks every time the clutch is depressed. Just remove it.
Thanks for the reply. I see a spring, which slides at it's top end on a platform. It slides up when pushing the pedal down, but when lifted it suddenly goes back to its original position, thus creating the click.

How would I move such a large bit without affecting the use of the clutch?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I see a spring, which slides at it's top end on a platform. It slides up when pushing the pedal down, but when lifted it suddenly goes back to its original position, thus creating the click.

How would I move such a large bit without affecting the use of the clutch?
When I have removed the pedal on my GTV for servicing, I did not reconnect the clicking Spring. The clutch pedal is pushed back out by other workings in the front of the car.

Read post #9. Hopefully it helps to explain.
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa...-wont-come-back-up-but-isnt-master-slave.html

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
125 Posts
Mine still works perfectly. Try it and should you find that it is not to your liking it should be easy to reinstall. it is just fiddly.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I might have the parts you need. See attached picture. Probably got the part above the spring but need a picture of it so I know what to look for. I have got draws full of small clips and bits but not very organised.

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I might have the parts you need. See attached picture. Probably got the part above the spring but need a picture of it so I know what to look for. I have got draws full of small clips and bits but not very organised.
That looks like it!

Here's a video of it in action if it helps. It's pretty hard to get a camera up there!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op8j96siy78

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yip I've got the same annoying click on return, dunno how you got a camera to that but top marks! Did you ever get it sorted? If so how?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yip I've got the same annoying click on return, dunno how you got a camera to that but top marks! Did you ever get it sorted? If so how?
I just took the spring out. The mechanism still worked as it did before and no clicking! Having said that, I did source a new spring but didn't refit as I didn't see the point. Plus it hurt my back getting down there!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just took the spring out. The mechanism still worked as it did before and no clicking! Having said that, I did source a new spring but didn't refit as I didn't see the point. Plus it hurt my back getting down there!
I'll follow your lead, think I can probably get in there to take the spring out, getting me out might be another matter :thinking: thanks for the update!

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Is the spring only needed to return the pedal up when bleeding the clutch? The spring broke a few years ago on one of my cars (not a GTV) and I've never bothered to fix it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks Desame, id normally prefer to not end up with bits left over after a fix but it really makes no difference without the spring. Quieter and smoother defo..
Anybody know the reason for the return spring? Is it to reduce wear and tear on clutch hydrolics over time?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts