Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My release bearing is whining like my wife, and having done nearly 80k the clutch is most likely due for change....

Now i would consider myself pretty handy, i worked for Vauxhall for 10 years in the workshop so i know my way around and engine bay;)

i understand that after the clutch has been changed i will need to recalibrate the Selespeed unit, so i have a few questions....

Can i do the recalibrate with Alfadiag?
What lead will i need to connect to the car?
Is the lead USB?
Are there any special tools i will need in order to do the job?

Thanks in advance :thumbs:

·
Registered
30,019 Posts
Yes AlfaDiag.
loads of cables on eBay, search for OBD2 KKL.
Yes USB

You either need to remove the actuator from the box
or
disconnect the hydraulic lines from the actuator and leave it on the box.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks David :thumbs:

is it easier to remove the actuator or remove the lines and leave the actuator on?

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
VERY MUCH EASIER to remove before you remove the box. Three retaining screws on top and the plug on the side removed to gain access to the main selector shaft locating allen bolt and of course the two hydraulic pipes and wiring loom.

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
Pat, you can leave the hyd pipes connected, I do.

Other special tools which are needed are 4mm,5mm,6mm and 12mm Hex bits (long reach), flywheel lock tool and a clutch alignment tool.

If you like I'd lend you a hand to do it if you came up, and my knowledge of how to do it with the subframe on may prove invalubl, as well as having a second load of muscle for the job.

BTW, this is not a vauxhall and don't treat it like one, it will bite you back if you take shortcuts.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pat, you can leave the hyd pipes connected, I do.

Other special tools which are needed are 4mm,5mm,6mm and 12mm Hex bits (long reach), flywheel lock tool and a clutch alignment tool.

If you like I'd lend you a hand to do it if you came up, and my knowledge of how to do it with the subframe on may prove invalubl, as well as having a second load of muscle for the job.

BTW, this is not a vauxhall and don't treat it like one, it will bite you back if you take shortcuts.
Smaky, i may take you up on that :thumbs:

Like the Vaux comment, :lol: i am a bit anal when i work on my cars and as a result i take a lot longer that i possibly need to, but i like my cars to be as good as they can be

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
Smaky, i may take you up on that :thumbs:

Like the Vaux comment, :lol: i am a bit anal when i work on my cars and as a result i take a lot longer that i possibly need to, but i like my cars to be as good as they can be
I wouldn't call it anal, just being precise, high quality workmanship is a rare thing nowadays as most garages are driven by profit and not safety, this leads to too many short cuts being taken and often resulting in stripped threads or missing bolts.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
and use a new bolt for the gearswitch link, they are special and one time use only !!!

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Yes AlfaDiag.
loads of cables on eBay, search for OBD2 KKL.
Yes USB

You either need to remove the actuator from the box
or
disconnect the hydraulic lines from the actuator and leave it on the box.
You better buy a modified cable from Sears or me, they have Airbag and ABS control and are tested , I test the cables on my own
156 selespeed !!
PM me

p.s. removing the actuator is a better way than disconnecting the lines. Be careful when you reinsert the actuator as not to damage the seal !!

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, i am bumping this as it is time to do the clutch, the release bearing is screaming its head off :tut:

a couple of questions though

can the gearbox come out without subframe extraction?

and use a new bolt for the gearswitch link, they are special and one time use only !!!
Where is this located and do you have a part number

You better buy a modified cable from Sears or me, they have Airbag and ABS control and are tested , I test the cables on my own
156 selespeed !!
PM me

p.s. removing the actuator is a better way than disconnecting the lines. Be careful when you reinsert the actuator as not to damage the seal !!
How much do you charge for the cables? and will it work with alfadiag?

Realistically, working on a normal drive with ramps, stands, jacks and an assortment of good quality tools how long should i expect to take to do this and aside from the actuator is there anything else i should be weary of?

Thanks

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
Ok, i am bumping this as it is time to do the clutch, the release bearing is screaming its head off :tut:

a couple of questions though

can the gearbox come out without subframe extraction?
Yes

Where is this located and do you have a part number

How much do you charge for the cables? and will it work with alfadiag?

Realistically, working on a normal drive with ramps, stands, jacks and an assortment of good quality tools how long should i expect to take to do this and aside from the actuator is there anything else i should be weary of?

Thanks
You don't need the bolt, just clean it and apply a little dab of blue thread lock, the job takes me 4 hours to do on axle stands so if you double that you'll be in the ballpark, but if you can get up next week durin the day sometime then the offer is there to help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts