Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My breaks are needing done an in the last week or so my low brake fluid warning message was being displayed on my dash.

I had noticed a few small patches of fluid under my car. Got up this morning to go to work an the clutch pedal was on the floor. No pressure at all.

So my leakage must have been from the clutch not the brakes. The car has been driving fine an I had no problems at all with the clutch that made me expect this.drove home from work last night an it was fine - this morning the clutch completely gone, tho the warning message on my dash for brake fluid had been showing for a few days.

My mechanic is going to have a look later but it says it could be a big job. I mentioned I had read a bit about this happening on this forum an he asked what three back was. He reckons it will be a big or simple job based on if the problem is external or internal with the save cylinder

Based on what I've posted can anyone relate to this problem being internal or external?

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Depends on what part or tube is leaking.

The concentric slave cylinder is inside the gearbox. If thats leaking its a gearbox off job.
If its pipes then its simple. If its the master cylinder is pretty simple.

Lets hope its just a tube or container leak...
I'd start topping up with Dot4 fluid to make sure you dont accidently pump air into the brakes.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi mate, was just coming onto post that my mechanic is coming round tonight an I'm praying its the quicker fix, the gear box option is coming in around £500 for parts an labour,that's the cocentric slave cylinder, the boy I bought the car from says the car is a 3 piece clutch system and doesnt have a concentric slave, he says the problem is the cheaper option and a £30 part. Really hoping that's the case. It's 1.9 JTD lusso i have and the boy I bought the car from is a bit of an Alfa connoseaur so I'm hoping he's right.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
take out the battery and then the battery tray to have a look, clutch cylinder sits on top, shoulb be very obvious and wet if its leaking

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Yes external slave cylinder on JTD. The clutch and brake hydraulics use the same fluid from the same reservior - next time the warning light comes on check and top up the fluid, don't just keep driving and hope.

Note that as the clutch and brakes share the same fluid the leak could still be either brakes or clutch circuit. Don't assume clutch is the issue, though it likely is. The clutch fluid pipe comes off higher up in the reservior so that a slow leak in the brake system will cause the clutch to fail first, warning the driver in a safer way than if the brakes failed. For when people decide to ignore the warning light.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
My mistake I thought you had the petrol variant.
The JTD uses an external slave so providing its just that then it should be a cheap fix.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts