Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, While driving last week my clutch pedal stayed down on the floor. On inspection the splined shaft going through the clutch pedal housing, which a splined bracket comes off going to the clutch master cylinder had broke. I drove back carefully to Madeley Heath Motors where I access technicians. I removed lower trims giving me access to the pedals. I removed a 15mm nut off the splined shaft and cotter pins from the master cylinder and pedal return spring. On inspection the spot welds had broke. I welded up the break and also welded it underneath to give it more strength. This must be a design fault (Not welded enough from new) Carefully I refitted the bracket back onto the splined shaft (Tricky job) I then slackened the clutch master cylinder to allow fitment of the bracket to the master cylinder and used a new cotter pin after greasing the linkage. Refitted the 15mm nut to shaft, refitted the pedal return spring and clip, then finally tightened the clutch master cylinder up. Tried the clutch and all O.K. Then finally refit lower trims. These brackets cost £111.55p new and you would still have to weld it up for strength. Photos enclosed for the person who will tackle anything. (having trouble downloading photos?)

Take care to you all mrbute..........

·
Registered
3 Posts
Help - similar clutch problem, but have to remove the dash

I have a knackered clutch pedal, but so badly adrift that the pedal box has to come out for thorough repair. Please can some kind soul let me know how to get the damn thing out. I have already got most of the left hand side parts out, but the ics unit and surrounds won't budge. The right hand side of the centre console seems to be held by something I just cannot find.... grrrrr!!

Please help

Hello and Welcome

Well Done! Its a known problem and some people have had to remove there dash boards to get the work finished. Photos would be prefect. I maintain a "Haynes" manual with I would definatly add this post.

Cheers Stuart

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Stu
Did you ever recive the photos? I'm having some clutch problems, and the photos from mrbute would be a great help.

Please upload the pics if you still have then.

Regards

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think it's that time of the year for my 166, since yesterday the clutch pedal gets stuck real low, however I developed a trick and pull it back up with the tip of my shoe sliding beneath it, whilst driving, may I add. However I must ask, should I look for what our fellow colleague has found out, or is it a sign that I need a clutch replacement? After all, I have to consider the long term costs for shoes.

P.S. Please hear our cries, and post some photos, or a link or something, not just in this thread but on the forum in general.

Best regards

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
I think it's that time of the year for my 166, since yesterday the clutch pedal gets stuck real low, however I developed a trick and pull it back up with the tip of my shoe sliding beneath it, whilst driving, may I add. However I must ask, should I look for what our fellow colleague has found out, or is it a sign that I need a clutch replacement? After all, I have to consider the long term costs for shoes.

P.S. Please hear our cries, and post some photos, or a link or something, not just in this thread but on the forum in general.

Best regards
Could be slave or master cylinder....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thank you kind sir, that was the mechanics opinion too, as I went to him today. Want the car to be in shape, for I want to drive to Italy in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
alfa 166 clutch

Hi, While driving last week my clutch pedal stayed down on the floor. On inspection the splined shaft going through the clutch pedal housing, which a splined bracket comes off going to the clutch master cylinder had broke. I drove back carefully to Madeley Heath Motors where I access technicians. I removed lower trims giving me access to the pedals. I removed a 15mm nut off the splined shaft and cotter pins from the master cylinder and pedal return spring. On inspection the spot welds had broke. I welded up the break and also welded it underneath to give it more strength. This must be a design fault (Not welded enough from new) Carefully I refitted the bracket back onto the splined shaft (Tricky job) I then slackened the clutch master cylinder to allow fitment of the bracket to the master cylinder and used a new cotter pin after greasing the linkage. Refitted the 15mm nut to shaft, refitted the pedal return spring and clip, then finally tightened the clutch master cylinder up. Tried the clutch and all O.K. Then finally refit lower trims. These brackets cost £111.55p new and you would still have to weld it up for strength. Photos enclosed for the person who will tackle anything. (having trouble downloading photos?)

Take care to you all mrbute..........
Don't know if this is what's wrong with my Alfa, but the photo's weren't there?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts