Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help with my clutch problem?
My pedal has slowly got harder and harder and this week it became soft now sits about half way up and gear selection has become very difficult moreso in first and reverse, I think it now needs changing. has anyone had the same problem? Clutch has now done about 87,000, is it worth upgrading to a better quality one?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi all,
This maybe of interest to anyone who has suffered the same problem as I have, as many of you probably knew the problem lay with the clutch slave cylinder, yes that f#1=#'.>g slave cylinder, It took 3 hours of smashing the f#+k out of it because it had welded itself to the steel bracket, and as we know alloy and steel love each other so much that they become one, the job itself didn't take too long and the cost was very low, my son helped me bleed the system so no labour on this one, so this is my first job on my GTV and the amount of swear words that my neighbours heard from me, well lets just say they will be closing their windows when they see me start work on the next job, but after all the scraped knuckles and expletives it just makes driving the GTV even more enjoyable.

·
Registered
908 Posts
How do you go about bleeding the system? Any chance of a step by step guide as I may attempt this over the weekend with a trustworthy relative!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The clutch pedal was on the floor, so I lifted it by hand up and down 5 or 6 times, then topped up with fluid, nothing much happened but it did raise the pedal about an inch, I carried on bleeding the slave with my son inside the car, he did have to raise the clutch pedal by hand again but after we did this about 5 or 6 times we got some clutch pedal pressure, I did start the engine up for 5 minutes although I don't know if this helped but the pedal became limp again so we bled again and again and again then we got a decent pedal, I have driven the car about 10 miles and all seems OK.
I hope this is of help to you and GOOD LUCK.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Changed my slave to no effect, clutch was horribly heavy before and after.
Carried on driving it pretending it wasn't the clutch. It was, clutch came out recently as a result of a HOLED GEARBOX thanks to a piece of the clutch release getting sick of the load and letting go. Pleas beware if the heaviness persists.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
yeah... heavy clutch means its on the way out. mine got like driving a bus. when i had a new clutch in it became light as a feather. also maybe a fluid change would help. have heard that it could get heavy with old dirty fluid in.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Second that with the fluid. Like tar now, nobody ever bothered to change it. The disturbing bit is - where on earth does all that black gue come from ? The seals ? And what is that round thing on top of the gearbox, still nobody has been able to enlighten me. I suspect it's a 'clutch fluid impedence device', on old'uns at least.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts