Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I have been having a bit of difficulty getting reverse gear and yesterday I noticed that when I put the car into gear when stationary with the engine running and the clutch depressed, any lights on the insturment panel dim for half a second, although there are no bad noises and the engine revs stay constant.

Does this sound like a clutch problem in the offing, or am I just being paranoid again :confused:

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would've thought the clutch but if the revs are constant???? You sure they don't change?

Daft idea.........perhaps and electrical fault with the reverse lights!!! ..........but that wouldn't explain the difficulty engaging reverse so back to idea one and I'll go away from this topic and keep quiet for a change :rolleyes:

wrinx

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pedal feels completely normal, and I'm fairly sure the revs don't change - although I re-check that.

As an eternal pessimist I first started worrying it was something to do with the gearbox itself (synchromesh maybe? I don't know how these things work :confused: ) - but the dimming lights sort of suggested to me that putting it into gear was using some engine power - so perhaps the clutch is not quite fully disengaging from the engine. Is there anything simple I can check to start off with (fluid levels etc?!).

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the engine revs stay constant when you are trying to select reverse then no power is being taken from the engine. If the engine revs stay constant and the instrument lights dim then this could be one of two problems (that I can think of):

1. As wrinx suggets - there is a fault with the reversing light circuit. Check the lights and see if they come on at normal brightness when the car is in reverse.

2. There is a cable trapped under the clutch pedal which not only prevents the pedal from going all the way down (have you checked that it does?) but has worn through the insulation and is affecting the electrics (shorting through the clutch pedal). If this is the case sort it out quickly before you short out the whole car!

Does it make any difference to the ease of selection if the engine is not running? And with the engine not running but with the ignition on do the warning lights still go dim when you depress the clutch fully and try to select reverse?

Try lifting up the gearlever gaiter as well - is there anything (wires?) restricting lever movement?

A certain amount of reluctance going into reverse is normal - my gearbox has been completely rebuilt and doesn't always go in first time, particularly when cold.

Ian

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Excellent suggestions. Cheers. Now I think about it logically, the lights perhaps go dim because of the reversing lights coming on and I'm maybe worrying about now't. I'll check for obstructions and dodgy wires though.

The only reason I worry is because reverse has always been surprisingly easy to get in the 155, but has suddenly become difficult.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts