Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Broke down right now in GT 1.9. I think it is the clutch as I struggled to get the car in to a gear in order to get to a safe place to pull over. RAC man came out and got the car out of gear easily (something I could not do) but not back into gear. We arranged a tow (currently waiting for that) but I thought I would see what it was now like getting the car back into gear with engine off. It is slipping into all gears easily. I am still getting a tow because you never know but with this limited info, has anyone got an idea of what might have gone? My guess is clutch but what is confusing me is the car will now go into gears again.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
This is what mine was like when the pressure plate/bearing failed...

Very hard/crunchy to get into gear whilst the engine was running, moved beautifully between gears when the engine was off.

Fingers crossed it's just the clutch!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That puts my mind at ease a bit. Started at about 6.30 (when the break down happened) and just got home at 12.45. About 25 mile recovery. I'm knackered and I've not really done anything

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
That puts my mind at ease a bit. Started at about 6.30 (when the break down happened) and just got home at 12.45. About 25 mile recovery. I'm knackered and I've not really done anything
Had one of them myself...

Engine conked out at speed on the M5 with an array of lights on the dash at about 08:00 on my way to work..

Recovery truck got to me at 10:30, then an 85 mile recovery over to Loz at Autolusso in Bournemouth.

Arrived at the garage by 13:00... Loz sorted me out in about 90 mins (easy fault in the end!), by the time I got home it was about 17:00...

Nightmare day!

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I think clutch too.

I just had exactly that on my wife's Peugeot, that also felt like it could be a broken gearbox. She couldn't get any gears, I found I could, with effort and double-declutch, and managed to limp it home. After a new clutch it's fine.

If gear selection with the engine off is OK, it's just the clutch dragging like ****.

{EDIT: It could just be clutch hydraulics failing, not even the clutch. The Peugeot has a cable clutch}

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Difficulty selecting gears usually just means the clutch isn't disengaging properly, like trying to change gear without using the clutch pedal. Usually this is related to the release mechanism rather than the "clutch" itself, i.e. the friction parts. Could simply be the hydraulics have failed which is an easy fix on the diesel. If you're unlucky it could be caused by something more significant inside the gearbox such as the release bearing or DMF that is preventing the clutch disengaging.

It should always be possible to select gears without clutch when the engine is off because the clutch doesn't need to be disengaged since nothing is spinning inside the gearbox.

When the clutch itself properly fails it usually just slips, selecting gears isn't necessarily a problem in this case, just no drive available.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts