Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having spent a long time perusing the threads on this (excellent) website and posting some about how much I love my GT - I had my first alfa-ism last night driving into London from herts we got near battersea bridge and DING the clutch pedal flies to the floor. Faced with a few seconds to stop the car in gear or out of it and not hit the traffic in front - then coping with the ever so friendly locals who decided I stopped in the middle of a major bus route on purpose. I seem to have become the latest victim of the frankly pathetic design flaw that is the clutch pin clip - as far as I can tell this has been the subject of a recall - although I have an 08 plate blackline it still seems mine had a clip of the quality of a cheap paper clip - she goes in for a (24k) service on Friday and now i know what is under my left foot - it does not fill me with confidence. Luckily we weren't travelling too fast or parking for that matter The JTD is the not the most accomodating when the clutch is stuck. I'm assuming mine was the redesigned clip - but it is the quality that worries me - this has been a fantastic car up to now but I hope the dealer doesn't just get another paper clip it's just gonna ping again cause the clutch isn't the lightest - oh well at least alfa assist AA cover worked fantastically!:rolleyes:

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
Having spent a long time perusing the threads on this (excellent) website and posting some about how much I love my GT - I had my first alfa-ism last night driving into London from herts we got near battersea bridge and DING the clutch pedal flies to the floor. Faced with a few seconds to stop the car in gear or out of it and not hit the traffic in front - then coping with the ever so friendly locals who decided I stopped in the middle of a major bus route on purpose. I seem to have become the latest victim of the frankly pathetic design flaw that is the clutch pin clip - as far as I can tell this has been the subject of a recall - although I have an 08 plate blackline it still seems mine had a clip of the quality of a cheap paper clip - she goes in for a (24k) service on Friday and now i know what is under my left foot - it does not fill me with confidence. Luckily we weren't travelling too fast or parking for that matter The JTD is the not the most accomodating when the clutch is stuck. I'm assuming mine was the redesigned clip - but it is the quality that worries me - this has been a fantastic car up to now but I hope the dealer doesn't just get another paper clip it's just gonna ping again cause the clutch isn't the lightest - oh well at least alfa assist AA cover worked fantastically!:rolleyes:
I prefer to use a terry pin that I get form a good local supplier to hold my pedal to the master.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just found this thread after the exact same thing happened to me last saturday luckily it was 12 at night and the roads were dead. I explaned what happened to the AA and the guy was only ten minutes away.

He had rescued a GT with the same problem a few months previously and knew exactly what had happend, he simply fixed it by taking his spare key off his key ring and put they key ring threw where the ****ty split pin was, has worked fine so far, think i will get myself a terry pin though.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm surprised there is not more made of this - oh well, the old clip actually looked like metal spaghetti!! Very italian!

·
Registered
178 Posts
The clutch pin on my V6 GT was replaced at the recall. It broke in two a year later. I found that a bent nail is a perfectly acceptable substitute with a higher quality of material and engineering!

·
Registered
665 Posts
The clutch pin on my V6 GT was replaced at the recall. It broke in two a year later. I found that a bent nail is a perfectly acceptable substitute with a higher quality of material and engineering!
Same here, pin replaced as part of the recall and new one broke a year later or so ... not so worrying when you know what it is and was lucky I was in 2nd gear coming from standstill.

To the best of my knowledge the replacement pin is no different but they added a washer to the clutch assembly.

Can anybody confirm ?

·
Registered
890 Posts
Same here, pin replaced as part of the recall and new one broke a year later or so ... not so worrying when you know what it is and was lucky I was in 2nd gear coming from standstill.

To the best of my knowledge the replacement pin is no different but they added a washer to the clutch assembly.

Can anybody confirm ?
I had to get a new pin in today but it looks no stronger than the one that broke. A washer was added though. Does this make any difference?

How long are most peoples lasting? Mine went after 2.5yrs and 25,000 miles

·
Registered
69 Posts
Could anybody describe or even better attach a photo where is this pin located please?
It's good to know that if something simmilar happen to us - owners of GTs :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi all,

Thanks for the great assistance in this thread, as ever, as I think this is what's ABOUT to happen to mine. So, in preparation, can someone please tell me what a "terry pin" from "a good local supplier" is???

Can someone please describe this in more detail or post a pic? It sounds like someone has had success with whatever this is, so I'd like to get it right 1st time!

Thanks [a lot] in advance!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Wow, really?!! I knew Alfa ownership was a bit 'Heath Robinson' at times, but it doesn't say much for their engineering if it can be beaten with a nappy pin! I'm going to have a look at the pin currently in place tonight and if the nappy pin wins then it's in! I just won't confess the fact to anyone else!

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
504 Posts
It's got to be better design than 52-plate on Fiestas, they don't have any clip. The cylinder push rod just hooks over a post. Only sometimes it decides to unhook. Answer is to driil 2mm hole through the post and insert splitpin. It's not just an Alfa thing car manufacturers love saving 0.00000001p on a part then wasting millions on useless bits of plastic!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Crap aren't they?

I had two go in less than a year. Keep a spare in the glovebox now.

The problem seems to be that the master cyliner cylinder isn't all that square to the pedal so when you depress the clutch the the cylinder puch road squares up with the cylinder moving the whole thing to the left a little bit. This puts a force that really shouldn't be there through a bit of bent wire :tut: fatigue sets in and it breaks. Bit rubbish really.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've been through 3 of these now and this includes the so called recall which as I found out only replaced the pin with one exactly the same. The design and quality of the pin is shockingly bad. I put my own temporary fix in and asked my indie to sort it with their own fix the next time it was in for some work. They've done plenty of apparently. So far so good.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
The part ws revised in 2006, so cars after that date arent subject to a recall.....albeit from this even the revied part breaks!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Guys i have read your postings with interest and seek advise as it would appear my GT has suffered similar fate.

I'm working abroad at the moment and have made the fatal mistake of letting the missus drive the Alfa back in the UK. :eek:
She's reported on attempting to pull away (after starting the engine :lol:), the clutch pedal was pressed to select gear but no resistance was felt (nor could a gear be selected) and the pedal went straight to the floor. Then on release the pedal stayed on the floor for a few seconds before returning to the up position. This repeats and gears cannot be selected.

Does this bear any resemblance to your 'pin failure' experiences......or could it be something more traumatic.......?

And before you chastise me for letter her drive I AM VERY VERY SORRY......:(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts