Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had trouble with the clutch peddle sticking on 159? I press the peddle and it returns 95% back to the top position and then a second later returns to the top. Alfa main dealer says they want to take out the gearbox to check the flywheel and clutch bearing...sounds extravagant to me...especially as I will have to pay if no fault found in any parts. Still under 3rd year of alfa warranty.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Hi & welcome to AO:thumbs:

I would say it's hydraulic and probably something to do with the master & slave cylinders. It's been heard of on here too.

Does the pedal noticeably creak? That is, going by my experience of yesterday, easy to resolve.

Try doing a search on here and in this lounge. I know you're a Newbie but the search facility is dead easy to use. Type in the work clutch and see what you get back:)

Cheers,

Simon:D

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Pistons in the master are forced back with pretty hefty coil springs. Watch out if you ever decide to remove the end circlip to overhaul one. Smooth return of the pistons is dependant on the slave cylinder pistons and seals, running concentrically in the cylinder. The same applies to the master, concentric for a smooth forward thrust and return action?:):

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Bad news for you.

My 07 car did this and despite them trying to fix it umpteen times, they never did.... it went back to Alfa with the problem outstanding.

It was INCREDIBLY annoying.

You have to be careful, as the pedal not returning all the way has the effect of riding the clutch.

They replaced everything on my clutch - both cylinders, release bearings, clutch plates etc and nothing solved it. The only thing they didnt replace was the pedal box.

It was very puzzling and went a long way toward ruining the car.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alfa have changed the master cylinder already which hasn't made much difference. It seems to me that the clutch peddle comes back far enough not to be riding the clutch. ?? The peddle doesn't 'creak'. I'm inclined to leave it alone and see what happens...it might fix itself!..if there is a failure of anything it should be covered by warranty.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
No chance there was a batch of cyliders manufactured that were not bored perfectly cylindrical? Guess quality control would of picked this one up, but it will be interesting to have a conclusive answer on this, as quite a few appear to have suffered the same problem.:):

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Alfa have changed the master cylinder already which hasn't made much difference. It seems to me that the clutch peddle comes back far enough not to be riding the clutch. ?? The peddle doesn't 'creak'. I'm inclined to leave it alone and see what happens...it might fix itself!..if there is a failure of anything it should be covered by warranty.

You'd think that... but watch out because it does!

When they took mine to pieces the clutch plate was knackered apparently... and after only 12k miles.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Simon,

I have a similar problem with my 159 but it only sticks sometimes. I just hook the pedal up with my foot. Never thought this could be something serious but after reading this thread I'm gonna call the dealer.

Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
682 Posts
had this on mine, but it was just the floor mat moving forward under the pedal lever. Scared me silly still though!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I tried some grease on the peddle piston and it fixed it. :) Its not easy to see or get to ... find the clutch peddle and (hanging upsdie down) apply grease to the exposed moving silver piston lever. Whether this last for long I will see.?? A bit easier than removing the gearbox!

I am still getting some strange creaking from the front somewhere...sounds live something to do with the drive shaft. Ony occasional and hard to identify. Anyone any suggestions?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts