Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Evening,

I've just got a 1996 164 V6 3.0 Super and has the clutch pedal extreamly hard. Its so hard that you have to sweat in order to push it completely in. The hydraulic warning light has lit but the Brakes are still fine. The rubber boot on the slave cylinder is torn and I have a feeling that that can be the cause, however if the master or slave should have failed, wouldn't the pedal feel lighter ??? :confused:

I really need your help on this one as I have no clue what so ever.

really appreciate it,

Regards,

Keith

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi!

Does the rubber boot on the slave cylinder is wet? What about hidraulic liquid level? Did you check it?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi,
A hard pedal on these cars can often be caused by the flexible hose leading to the slave cylinder being badly perished on the inside restricting the fluid flow.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good Morning

Thanks for your interest. The hydraulic level is a little low but I cannot see the MIN & MAX marks to be honest. I've just been told that the clutch pedal on a 164 is by nature very hard, is that true ?

The slave cyclinder isn't wet although the piston is rusty and the protective sleeve is torn so dust can easily enter. Funnily (and thank god for that..) the gear change is quite smooth and easy only that you have to squeeze the pedal a lot, hovever the clutch engages quickly.

Thanks for your help & time your ideas would be quite helpfull.

Regards,

Keith

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Alfa 3.0 V6 clutches tend to be a bit heavy, really noticeable when coming from another car. Should get used to it after a while though but what you describe sounds very extreme. Easiest and cheapest start point would be to bleed the system and top up fluid see if this helps at all.

My clutch is heavy and bitting low at present so will need replaced at some point soon but no slip yet.

Good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts