Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suffered a new variety of the weak clutch pedal connector today. Previously the clutch pedal pin has broken for me, that holds the rod of the master cylinder in place to the pedal. (That one locks you in gear on the road).

This time it was the turn of the rubber washer that fits onto the clutch pedal, between the rod. It has split and perished. I think the grease was to blame. Be careful what you grease the connection with! It must have eroded and split it, hence giving rise to a half floppy clutch pedal, which is soft half way down then typically stiff the rest of the travel to the floor. I hate the design.

Normally though it's the split pin that breaks. I think Alfa did a recall on the pin, something that was a better steel compound perhaps. I always carry one spare :)

Question: will Alfa sell me a single rubber washer, or do I need to buy a whole new master cylinder... it's the part 8 in this picture:

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-and-gt/298911-clutch-master-cylinder-gt.html#post4364278

I think the setup is the same for all 156, 147, GT, GTA.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update on this one. I ordered from Alfa what I thought was going to be a 1cm rubber washer to replace. It turned out to be a normal washer (costing R4)! I will have to order a whole new master cylinder rod component (3 in previous diagram, cost more than R500), else it belongs to (1), the clutch pedal itself. But no one seems to know. I think it more likely belongs to the clutch pedal pack. Part 8 in the figure is a normal washer, but the diagram lies, suggesting it has a thickness greater than 1mm.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts