Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

Does anyone encounter the same problem I'm encountering, in that the clutch pedal often sticks straight to the floor due to it getting stuck right under the mat??? :eek:

It's only happenned twice, and both occasions took place when I was at a standstill.

I mean, I'm hoping it's getting stuck under the mat and it's not something worse, it shouldn't be as the clutch was changed about a year ago and feels fine. When it's happenned I pull the mat back and it doesn't happen for the rest of the journey or anything.

Is this a common trait that will have to result in me buying some shorter mats for the car, or is this dodgy business???

Help appreciated!

Cheers,
Darren

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,374 Posts
Guys,

Does anyone encounter the same problem I'm encountering, in that the clutch pedal often sticks straight to the floor due to it getting stuck right under the mat??? :eek:

It's only happenned twice, and both occasions took place when I was at a standstill.

I mean, I'm hoping it's getting stuck under the mat and it's not something worse, it shouldn't be as the clutch was changed about a year ago and feels fine. When it's happenned I pull the mat back and it doesn't happen for the rest of the journey or anything.

Is this a common trait that will have to result in me buying some shorter mats for the car, or is this dodgy business???

Help appreciated!

Cheers,
Darren
Make sure it is sticking under the mat and nothing else. A common problem when the clutch pedal does not return up is a leak in the hydraulic system, on GTVs it's often the slave cylinder. It's common but not expensive or difficult.

Check the fluid levels and look for leaks.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Could you move the mat back a bit? I got some heavy-duty sticky velcro pads from woolworths to keep mine in place, works a treat....

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
If it is the mats get some fitted ones. The previous owner put generic Ripspeed ones in mine which didn't quite fit and caused a few problems, then I bought some nice GTV mats from AROC and they fit perfectly.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys, just popped out to the car and as I suspected it is the mat that's causing it to stick, the pedal gets wedged right under! :eek:

I can either move the mat backward or forward to get rid of the problem for a while but I'll need some new mats soon. I'll get some this weekend I reckon.

Funny thing is, these are the original ones the car came with back in 1997, 135,000 miles ago. I can tell because they are very thick with Alfa Romeo etched into them, and the drivers side mat has a 2" hole in it where the heel of all the past drivers right feet have worn it through, :lol:

It's odd how it's the original mats that are causing me issues... Could be the fact they've been bent out of shape after having some sod mooshing their feet all over them for the last 135,000 miles... :rolleyes: :lol:

·
Vendor
46,244 Posts
Had the same problem with the worn-out mats in my JTD. No issue in the V6, mats look much newer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had the same problem with my GTV a while ago, ordered new fitted ones which were the right shape but slipped about very poorly and the clutch did get wedged a couple of times.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I've had that too Darren, bought some new fitted mats with the wire hook fixing. The mat finishes very close to the clutch pedal and if it slips forward slightly, the clutch stays on the floor. Have to take up the mat every now and then and bend the hook tighter to secure. Just one of those things.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Common problem make sure the mats are fixed to the carpet as far back as possible. Note dont move the seat with the engine running!

Dan

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quick update: I bought some standard fit mats from Argos for £14.99, they are plain black and go pretty well with the black interior, and they fall short of the pedal area by quite a few inches so I'm not going to be wedging them in any way, :D

On a seperate not then, does anyone require my old mats? :confused: The drivers side is worn to hell mind, it has a hole in it and everything. But the other 3 are all okay.

If anyone wants them just swing by and grab 'em!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts