Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Clutch Pedal Kaput: What Do I Do???

Tags
kaput pedal
1K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  awholden 
G
#1 ·
Team,

Just spent an absolutely GORGEOUS £140 on getting a new master cylinder fitted to the 156 V6 of mine only to find that the problem is still there. Brilliant. Just what I need.

The Problem: Clutch pedal feels notchy and sticks half way through it's travel every so often. The clutch itself however feels fine. There's no resistance or looseness variation, it's consistent and precise, so the clutch would appear to be fine.

So what the hell's wrong with it then, :lol: It's all pedal related as far as I can tell and 'up this end' so to speak. I've had 4 mechanics investigate and they've all said it was NOT the clutch but the master cylinder.

So after whacking out a great sum of cash to get a new one fitted, it turns out I'd have been better off blowing the cash instead down the swanny!

Had an AA chap take a gander earlier on and he said it's possible the pedal itself is kaput, as in there's something fishy going on with the mechanics of it or whatever. Once again, he informed me the clutch is fine. :rolleyes:

So then! Clutch fine, pedal f**ked!!!

Well, that's good news to an extent, but not really, I'm no mechanic and shan't be ripping pedals apart to see what's up. And it seems every mechanic out there is just happy enough to take your cash without actually fixing the issue.

Does anyone either A) Have a clue what else could be wrong? Or B) Want to take the car off my hands for a small fee?

I'm ****ed off with it now just sitting about mocking me and want to get rid if it's gonna be this much trouble to sort out a sodding sticky / notchy pedal.

Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers,
Darren

See less See more
#2 ·
Team,

Does anyone either A) Have a clue what else could be wrong? Or B) Want to take the car off my hands for a small fee?

I'm ****ed off with it now just sitting about mocking me and want to get rid if it's gonna be this much trouble to sort out a sodding sticky / notchy pedal.

Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers,
Darren

B . what do you mean a small fee

G
#3 ·
Well £800 would suit me as it owes me way more than that what with the leather interior I put in and the brand new Goodyears with 16" Tele's it's got on it, :( It's a cracking car but with the 328i and Mondeo taking up space as well I'd rather just shift it quickly at a loss.

I really don't want to have to break it as it's in brilliant condition, :(

It's a shame I'm no sodding mechanic though as it is probably something so easy to fix, it's just trying to find someone to sort it out for me.

G
#10 ·
PM sent mate.

Has anyone checked the slave cylinder?
No, could be that, could be anything, can't be bothered with her any more to be honest mate, :(

Nevermind Darren, you win some, you lose some. Hows the 328i getting on?
328i is sat on the drive ALSO doing nothing, :rolleyes: Not until I get her taxed and insured anyway, that's if I can even be bothered though mate, might just try and flog it in the new year.

My first guess would have been dirt or corrosion on the gearbox output shaft, don't think i would have considered a hydraulic problem.
Not sure then mate.

you have a PM
Replied mate thanks.

#11 ·
You can't sell the Alfa Darren, it's probably the best car you have got. (Once it is fixed) :D

The slave cylinder is pretty easy to change it's bolted on top of the gearbox underneath the battery. ;)

Have a look in there with a torch. They usually leak a small amount of fluid into the rubber boot when they are on their last legs.

I would have been interested for £800 but I am bit worried about job security, so I need to stash some cash.

#13 ·
There would also be the other small matter of my Fiat. The Alfa is a great car but it's not as good as a 20VT :p

#14 · (Edited)
I remember reading something about the clutch pedal bush wearing badly (in here somewhere) and causing a sticking feeling (halfway) - or a push point, if that makes any sense.

Can you disconnect the master cylinder rod from the pedal (easily?? circlip perhaps underneath - i've not looked btw).. if it swings freely, and you've done the master cylinder.. then there's not much left to check really. If it's notchy, really loose etc.. then replace the bush

Sorry *L*.. not much help I know... here are all the bits though.
Probably not overly complicated to figure out which bit is sticking, clicking (disconnect one at a time; switch, return spring, master cylinder rod)

Attachments

G
#15 ·
Cheers for the input guys, it's really appreciated.

Well I've dropped the car round at Alfanet's in Bristol and he's going to give it one last stab for me. He's positive that it's not the slave cylinder or the clutch itself and is now gonna take the pedal apart to see if that's the cause.

If it is I'll still be looking to sell it though as I do need to clear some space.

The MOT is out at the end of January so I'll try and stick a new ticket on her as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.