Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, this is what you get with a £1k 166 :) Missing trim and lots of cable ties!

But...

Is this dirty great spring normal?

The clutch is heavy as heck and bites less than 1" off the floor. The clutch was replaced Jan this year. I can see the master cyl and it moves about 2mm as you press the pedal. Not yet got someone to watch the slave cyl. Maybe it just needs bleeding.

·
Registered
495 Posts
You have the dodgy bracket scenario, might be cracked or spindle going through hole has too much play. Therefore pedal travel is not being relayed to the cylinder completely so loads of pedal needed too disengage clutch. It then fouls on the way back so pedal doesnt spring back up, hence your DIY spring been added.
HTH

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I don't think the mount is cracked as the master cyl hardly moves and there is no play in the pedal. Now I know the spring is 'aftermarket' I'll try with it removed.

The only issue with my cruise control is the + switch is fubar. I can slow down but not speed up ;)

EDIT: just removed the spring and the pedal drops about 15mm and no-longer touches the (rather bodged) cruise switch. But its still smooth to press the pedal and it returns all the way. I think this spring was to fix the cruise and not a sign the master cyl is moving.

I can feel the master cyl mounting plate and it feels flat and can't feel/see any cracking.

EDIT2:
http://www.tmaughan.co.uk/alfa/clutchswitch.jpg

Should the plate pointed at by the red arrow be flat against the part pointed to by the yellow arrow? On mine there is quite a gap as if the switch support has been bent back.

Someone has had a go at it judging by the hose clamp and cable tie around the switch.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
I had the dropping pedal isuue on my Super and had to stick a bit of plastic onto the pedal flange to ensure that the cruise button would still engage, the pedal was very heavy also.

166driver now has this 166 and has replaced the clutch and had the pedal sorted by having a bit of metal inserted somewhere - PM him for details.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yeah, my mechanic stategicly inserted a piece of metal to sure up the small movement by the master cylinder and he realised the pedal box was twisted by the mount and the metal straightened it out. Not quite enough to operate the cruise control but miles and miles better it feels like a normal clutch now. I still haven't looked at it but I might do so this weekend and post a picture. Douggie used a piece of plastic to make up the distance to the cc switch and I will do something similar again. It's all a bit of a bodge but it works and the reinforced pedal box from Alfa is £94 and a pain to fit and even requires the bracket for the brake switch cutting off and re welding because they put it in the wrong place !

My mechanic (Aforalfa) is also a member, Pm him for more technical details.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Keeping my fingers crossed that its not an issue with the master cyl mount.

A friend has a Honda Integra which suffers the same problem but with the brake master cyl. Its got an aftermarket support that stops the end of the master cyl moving. I may try something similar on the Alfa as I've got enough to do without having to change the pedal box.

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
I suspect it is missing a three parts, a rod,a sleeve and a strong spring that fit on the back of that metal plate with a groove in it (your yellow arrow is actually on it). A bodge job would have been ordered when the PO found how much it was from Alfa. Plenty being broken on ebay so should only cost a few quid. Basically does the same job as that spring, IIRC the 156 2.5 uses the same part.

HTH

1 - 8 of 8 Posts