Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sounds weird I know, but the clutch is silky smooth first thing but after 15 mins or so becomes heavy/notchy in the pedal, gear change is fine. it's on a JTD thats recently had it's slave cylinder changed.

Any ideas?, fluid/air etc?

Cheers

Jon

·
Registered
513 Posts
Mine was randomly heavy, lumpy etc and it was the clutch shaft bush in the top of the gear box. I poked a slim screwdriver down the shaft and doused it thin oil from aerosol, fixed. You'll probably need the battery out to do this. How a car with 170, 000 miles on it has any tight bushes is a mystery!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Dunno, but mine was similar. Drove from Zeebrugge into France and when queueing at a Payage booth 300 miles later it got heavier and heavier until abruptly went very light, still working ok tho. Back to normal next day. Since oiling it light and consistent.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Seems to get worse when warm and better when colder, but inconsistent in general. Temperature possibly affects the stiction in the bush as the engine heats up. All I know is I had exactly the same problem with it getting heavier as the car warmed up, almost felt like there was something wedged behind the pedal at it's worst. Lubricating it costs nothing other than time if you do it yourself ... which is easy enough.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Mine had its 1st clutch fitted at 165,000 miles because it heavy and didn't clear fully and it was light for about 4 days afterward. Few months later I oiled it and been fine ever since. As Alexie said, lubricating it costs little.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks fellas, I will have a go at this and whilst my battery is out I well have a go at.securing the headlight cover as some *** has neglected to put the lower screws back in so it's full of condensation now grrrrrrr!, whats the best oil or grease to use on the clutch arm bushes that I can get from say wilkinsons/b&q etc?

·
Registered
513 Posts
The shaft has seal where it goes into the box, if you don't pull it away from shaft with a terminal screwdriver or similar the oil won't get down to where it's needed. I used some light machine oil, don't know the make, sorry. Wants to be thin enough to run in, thick enough to luricate. ATF in an oil can may work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi jon, i,m new to the forum and i have exactly the same problem with the clutch on my 156 diesel sport 55 reg. I was wondering how you got on with this fix? I would be grateful to know as i dont fancy forking out £700 - £800 + for a new clutch and dmf as ive read on here that it doesnt always solve the problem. I have a mechanic friend who will do this for me, for an hours labour if thats all it takes. Thanks

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Follow the link that Alexie posted above, I will send you a pm with a more detailed view from my own experiences.

Cheers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Jon, i had the fix done last tuesday, following the instructions alexie had posted. also had the slave cylinder done (£75 all in) and the result is that my clutch is miles better!!!!. Not done much driving in heavy traffic yet though (half term, kids are off), so am still a little wary of it re-occuring! Fingers crossed! will keep you posted of any changes. Thanks again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts