Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've smelt the clutch burning for a while but not done anything about it... this morning I smelt it burning quite badly and the engine would rev but car would not move.

I've got the clutch and its being fitted later but is there anything else I would need? pressure plates?

Or are these symptoms of worse problems than just a duff clutch?

·
Registered
299 Posts
How many miles has the last one done as you could have a crank seal leaking oil onto the plate. Just a horrible idea!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
car only done 40k miles.
So original clutch.
gonna have a go at changing it in morning.
will let you know how I get on!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Well Jester how did it go? The job looks a complete pig and one I'm going to have to do in the near future.

·
Registered
Brera '08 JTDM SV
231 Posts
Jester,

Bit late I know but its always a good idea to change the thrust bearing whenever its apart. They have a habit of glumbling (like mine).
Your problem may well be caused by an oil leak, either from the gearbox input shaft oil seal or the crankshaft oil seal. Have a look underneath, the colour and consitencty should be a clue as to which it might be. They are nunpence parts so worth replacing, especially as the real part of this job is getting it all apart and back together. Let us know how you get on and good luck.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Maybe he's on a run and going for the airbag light, bushes, code lock, windows that catch, timing belt, melted fuse box.......... Remind me why I bought one of these again!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Feel like I'm standing at the top of the ski-jump runway or highest diving board. Well what I imagine that might be like anyway.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Blimey... sorry guys. Didnt realise you were waiting with such anticipation...

Who said it was a pig of a job? You liar!!! Its a complete and utter motherf****r of a job!

The thrust bearing was with the clutch kit that I bought. It was a complete kit.

never done a V6 before and when I first had everything off and looked at it I had a lump in my throat and was thinking Oh ****...

Checked all the seals and no leaks at all. Suprisingly clean. I was expecting there to be slicks of oil everywhere as there used to be on my Fiat Coupe 20VT! Nothing like that which was a gift from the Car Gods.

Anyway... the clutch plate itself... I've never seen anything so ridiculous in my life! There was nothing left of it... It had pretty much disintegrated!! And what a complete ******* it was to get to.

Out it came... drained the gearbox oil thinking there will be bits of the clutch in there... yes it really was that bad.

Anyhow... all in and all sorted. The crap under my fingernails will take an eternity to come out and the scrapes a lifetime to heal... but the "swear box" was full by the end.

By the way... what is the best way to gain access to it... there has to be an easier way.

40k miles.... must have been all done at silverstone, le mans or santa pod.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Gawd, sorry to stir it up if it was that bad. I've hardly ever heard of a clutch being knackered in that mileage. I was interested because I have a nasty feeling......
All this done at home? Well done you certainly deserve a beer or 2.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well when daddy retired I nicked his tool kits.
A very heavy duty trolley jack included (I pay the bills so a fair exchange!).
Certainly made life easier!!

I've never seen a clutch so knackered before either. Granted I have not changed many and a Focus or Punto is very different to a gtv but still... the condition of the clutch plate really was shocking. I'll get pictures of it if its still there.

When I saw all the extra bits that come with a V6... gulp. Bit off more than I could chew. Took ages too but definately happier now!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The clutch kit costs a little over £200.

I think the job would cost about £350 at a garage... seriously... next time I'll simply paythem the extra £150 to do it!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Thats what I was thinking, from your earlier comments I imagined the labour might be more. I'd like to do it, more confident in the result that way, but with what time?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Took me ages. Struggle to get a ratchet or air gun in most places so got to use bloody spanners.
Guess it would have been much easier if it was on a ramp and much quicker too so for the time it takes to DIY I'd say its well worth it getting someone else to do it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I didnt do it for the confidence in result. I trust the people I give my car to.
I done it myself cos I am the sort of person who has to know how it works!

Plus sitting in an office day in day out... its nice to get my hands dirty now and then!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Yes, that last point is why I get into the garage, not to improve my/the neighbours vocabulary, thats a side effect.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not had her long at all. I knew the cluth needed doing when I bought the bit*h.

How do I like the car? Erm... scrubs up well has sexy curves and a nice rear end... this clouds my judgement but fan-fekkin-tastic. Definately a Kylie.

Althought saying that, it wasnt the easiest car in the world to "christen".

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Sure we haven't bought the same car?? Haven't seen mine for a while!! Still, if it has a new clutch when it does come back I'm going to grin wider that the Cheshire cat.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts