Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a bit of a graunching from the clutch pedal (Tarquini is a 94 V6) and it feels like something in the master cylinder isn't quite right. :rolleyes: It works okay ..starts fine but gradually gets a bit lumpy underfoot, after 1/2 an hour's driving. Once it gets to that point it doesn't get any worse.

I imagine it as a seal or rubber getting turned in on itself as you use the clutch (pushrod moving back and forth). I lubed up the pushrod, spring pivots and everything else but it made no difference. Clutch itself is okay (and just 30k miles old) so nothing else it could be, is there? :confused:

If my clutch master cylinder has to come off, what's the form for replacing it?
:eek: :eek:

Where is the DOT4 fluid added (shares the reservoir with the brakes, as I understand it)?

And how do I get the air out of the new/recon'd cylinder itself? Does it have a bleed nipple, like a brake caliper?

Ralf S.

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo 156 JTD 8v Veloce (2005)
301 Posts
I had the clutch slave cylinder go last autumn I found as you - lumpy gear changes. I was advised to get a new cylinder though rather than mess with the seals.

I advise you (if possible) to take in the old cylinder for a check as there are 2 types and you guessed it I got the wrong one sent from the motor factors.

Quite easy to swap once you have found the bolt head hiding behind the cylinder (the one of the 3 you cannot see) swap over the pipe connection and refit. I was given the tip of taking the cap off the reservoir, place cling film over the opening and put the cap on to make the system temporarily air tight - this stops fluid flowing out as you swap pipes. There is a bleed nipple on the cylinder side and just bleed as with brakes. Whole job about 30-45 minutes!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.