Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fitting a new clutch :( master cyl. on my 155 2.0 tomorrow. Any tips/possible problems please. This job looks like a pain!

Cheers

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Not sure how bad they are but others have said hey are a Barsteward to do......................think you have to drop the inlet manifold off :eek: best man to ask is Chris155 he`s done on his 155 :D ;)

·
Registered
564 Posts
I think that the 8 valve and 16 valve cars are different, as I know for sure that there are 2 different masters and 2 different connecting pipes. :confused:
If you have the 8 valve it looks easier than my 16 valve as on the 16 valve the master cylinder is bolted straight to the bulkhead where as the 8 valve looks to be bolted to a seperate support.
As I have a 16 valve this is what I did:-
1. I had to remove the inlet manifold at the rubber connectors to get at the connection to the slave cylinder and clamp the supply hose.
2. Next push the seat all the way back
3. Disconnect pedal from Master cylinder (spring pin and washer) so you can move the pedal out of the way.
4. Undo the supply hose clamp.
5. Using a 3/8" drive socket set with a long wobble extension Undo the 2 nuts securing the master cylinder to the body.
6. Pull master cylinder out after freeing it from the supply hose.
This all seams straight forward until you see the amount of space you have to work in. :rolleyes:
I think thats about it but it's been about a year since I did mine and I might have forgotten something.
p.s. the inlet is held on to the support bracket by 2 15mm bolts, which you get at from below.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
daiblack said:
I think that the 8 valve and 16 valve cars are different, as I know for sure that there are 2 different masters and 2 different connecting pipes. :confused:
If you have the 8 valve it looks easier than my 16 valve as on the 16 valve the master cylinder is bolted straight to the bulkhead where as the 8 valve looks to be bolted to a seperate support.
As I have a 16 valve this is what I did:-
1. I had to remove the inlet manifold at the rubber connectors to get at the connection to the slave cylinder and clamp the supply hose.
2. Next push the seat all the way back
3. Disconnect pedal from Master cylinder (spring pin and washer) so you can move the pedal out of the way.
4. Undo the supply hose clamp.
5. Using a 3/8" drive socket set with a long wobble extension Undo the 2 nuts securing the master cylinder to the body.
6. Pull master cylinder out after freeing it from the supply hose.
This all seams straight forward until you see the amount of space you have to work in. :rolleyes:
I think thats about it but it's been about a year since I did mine and I might have forgotten something.
p.s. the inlet is held on to the support bracket by 2 15mm bolts, which you get at from below.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Hi Carrera,

The 8v is similarly straightforward and the above procedure will do the trick - unfortunately its still damn hard to get to! Although it may seem a pain, don`t be tempted to try without taking off the inlet as it will save you time and skinned knuckles in the long run. I think it actually looks a little easier to get to the bolts holding the cylinder to the 8v support, though.

Whilst the inlet is off, why not take the opportunity to liberally spray with carb cleaner into every orifice you can find.

Good luck, and don`t forget to bleed it afterwards!

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im strugglin' good time! knuckles skinned just trying to remove the piston from the pedal. looks like 4 bolts hold the manifold 2 in middle 2 outer really difficult to get to.....

cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts