Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just got a 2004 147 diesel 8v, have no warning lights everything works! Have just done turbo hoses, egr blank, oil and air filters so think it's as good as it's gonna get. The only thing i'm thinking about is the clutch - still the original after 100k. The pedal is heavy, but looking at other posts this is not uncommon. I know it's impossible to estimate the life, but has anyone done more than 100k on their original clutch? if not many have, i'll start saving up! Thanks, Nick

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Some have, most haven't...

100k+ is where DMF's start needing replacement too.. Start saving I should, it's better to have a big pile of cash waiting for a job you don't need than the other way round!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
got 160,000 out of a 145 Cloverleaf clutch, still going strong when I sold the car. Clutch life is usually down to how the car is driven however I can't comment on the life of DMF's!

·
Registered
38,665 Posts
The DMF life will also depend on how the car has been driven.

I see loads of people rocking backwards and forwards on the clutch at traffic lights.

Not only does that sort of thing wear the clutch out, the heat generated by the friction also damages the DMF.

I would also say that if you are going to the hassle of doing the clutch then you should do the DMF as well whilst the car is in bits, as the labour costs are significant.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all, forgot about the DMF. I'll probably tackle it myself so I might scour the breakers/classifieds and try and get hold of decent used parts - yes I know this is a minefield, but have time (hopefully!) to find something with low wear.

·
Registered
38,665 Posts
I don't think there is such a thing as a decent used clutch or DMF

Unless they were replaced shortly before a cambelt failed etc and had done very low miles....

A solid flywheel could be a cheaper option along with a new clutch.

·
Registered
296 Posts
My dfm clutch and bearings lasted up to 129000 miles, changed it when the clutch got really heavy
Certainly would not dream of fitting second hand, just so risky .......

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
TS engines seem to last the life of the car virtually.
Diesels I'd say between 40k high performance to 60k. 8v lower power diesel 100k is good going.

·
Registered
22 Posts
From previous Fiat JTD experience, owners were considered lucky to make it past 80k with a clutch. I had 2 Peugeots that had over 200k on the original so always thought that was pretty poor. My 147 JTD has over 120k on the clock and needs a new one this year, really.
JTD's are great engines but the clutches are poor IMO. After I replaced the Fiat one I had to put it apart again to replace a rear seal. Clutch fingers already had wear marks after less than 30 miles use... As mentioned the DMF is another factor, but they will generally make the life of the clutch. You just have to replace together.

·
Registered
324 Posts
8v lower power diesel 100k is good going.
Par for the course I'd say, just replaced the wife's 120 hp 8v clutch with 165.000km on the clock (that's 100k miles if you're not nitpicking.)
Mine is the 100hp 8v and that got a second clutch replacement at 260.000km (so about 80k miles average), but that one's parked in an underground parking garage on a hillside and everyday I need to start the day with a steep hill start and coming to a crawl near the top of the ramp where I stick my nose into the street. Harder than average on the clutch...

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I agree! The clutch on my JTDm is rubbish. I've replaced the clutch and DMF at just over 100 000km (60 000miles) it went back to being heavy after a few months. I tried the trick of trickling oil down the clutch actuation rod to free up the bush which helped a bit. It's still not exactly light though. The heavy clutch also wears the slave and master cylinders out quickly.

I've done the slave and master cylinders, DMF and clutch kit and for the huge expensive incurred it's really disappointing.

I'm too afraid to ride the clutch at the traffic light because of the cost and hassle involved.

·
Registered
446 Posts
That bottom bush is plastc and it's debatable if any oil based lubricant is going to improve things or make them worse in the long run but don't think they make a significant contribution to the heavy clutch unless REALLY bad. I think it's more to do with the pedal master cylinder leverage alignment. you always think it's better at first after changing something but it always gets heavy again pretty quickly in both the 147 and GT. Yet the same engine and clutch combinations feel lighter in the 156 it seems to me.
To answer the original Q mine in the GT did 120,000 BTW; I do tend to hold it on the clutch at the lights I must confess but as the clutch was already slipping when I got the car I don't hold myself too responsible. I did the SMF conversion as I've mentioned on here a good few times. Cut's the cost significantly, very significantly if you can do the work yourself.

·
Registered
38,665 Posts
I am hoping the later clutches such as those fitted to the Giulietta are better.

Mine is on 70k (Miles) and feels perfect.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts