Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

how much should i be looking to pay to have a new clutch fitted to my 2000 156 2.5 v6?

just trying to make sure im not going to be paying over the odds

D

·
0 Posts
Hi mate,

Firstly, is it definitely the clutch and not the master cylinder? Make sure it is otherwise you'll get ripped off.

Secondly, the clutch job is supposedly a right pain in the ass on the 156 V6 due to clearance issues and the such.

I'd say expect to pay around £150 or so for the clutch kit itself and then about £300 or so labour to get it done.

It aint cheap by any means, and whatever you do don't go to Alfa, :eek:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah the cars done just 64,000 on the original and the pedal is biting right near the top, not slipping yet tho

D

·
0 Posts
Mine's done 90K on the original clutch and now needs either a new clutch or master cylinder. I've been told my 3 mechanics it's just the master cyl though so gonna get that sorted first. That's £120 for parts and labour alone.

D

·
0 Posts
Well, sadly mate I was quoting a conservative costing, it can be up to £900 from an Alfa dealer, so around £650 isn't that bad to be honest. But you'll definitely find somewhere to do it cheaper.

Bearing in mind the parts cost about £150 it sounds like whoever gave you that quote is going to charge about £80 an hour labour, :eek:

Or £40 an hour and take about 12 hours to do it, :confused:

Either way, it sounds like they are after your cash more than your business mate.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ill have a look around, seems like if im willing to travel a bit further out i could save some cash

D

·
0 Posts
Yeah definitely mate. Even if you ask around on here there may be some members handy with a spanner that could do it for a few hundred quid or so.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts