Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a few mentions of someone that had put a clutch/dmf (and perhaps pressure plate, too) from a 159 2.4 into a 156 jtd 2.4 20V, but no description on how to do it, or what parts we need to use from 156 and 159 to make it all fit.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/5229918-post7.html
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/14264481-post3.html

Anyone?

My 166 has the same clutch than the 20V JTD 156, but the flywheel/clutches are fairly expensive, the 159's are cheaper and hold better the torque, so better for remapping.
For now it has a slight shaking on certain rev range, nothing terrible yet.
The clutch is bitting in the upper pedal travel and I don't think it will survive more than 10-15K miles.
So I'm preparing everything to have the right parts, ready to replace when it breaks.
Both are F40 gearboxes as far as I know, so, as last resort. could it be possible to put the whole transmission from a 159 on a 156? Including gearbox, flywheel, clutch and axles?
Regards

·
Registered
831 Posts
I would like to know too. At what torque will the box break? 500nm or 600nm. I want to go for high rev torque as well, what is the limit of these F40 boxes fitted to the 156. I don't care about the driveshafts, but fitting an LSD would stress the boxes internals more.
I have a spare gearbox, that I'm willing to uprate if needed, but thats beside the point. So please tell us any reports of failures and how much torque limit should I tell the guy at the dyno to put in the ECU limiting map??

·
Registered
831 Posts
Its going to be on 225 wide tyres, so in my case, the strength of 4th gear and onwards is in question? Or does the input shaft bearing flex, wear, fail? Or does the crown wheel break? Strictly GL4 oil, changed every couple of years, along with the CV grease.
Thanks in advance.

·
Vendor
46,348 Posts
The F40 box in the 159 has a different casing than the F40 box used in the 156. I've never seen a diesel 166 as they never did them in the UK but presumably because the 166 is a different chassis, the F40 gearbox casing will be different so that it can be suitably mounted in the 166 body.

I would expect that you could make it work, but it would take some customised parts being made such as engine mounting brackets.

·
Vendor
46,348 Posts
I think there is only one way to find out.... I wish I could be more helpful, but unless you find someone who has already done it before and can confirm that it works, you're probably on your own.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know, but having seen on those threads that has been already done..., I asked! :happy:
Will keep watching how this goes on, fingers cross es..

·
Registered
831 Posts
Allerd used a 159 210hp clutch cover and plate on his 156, but I'm not sure about the DMF. He eventually blow the motor at 300bhp and was using an uprated plate to stop the slip he got!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Seems a seriously high power! I've asked him for more details, luckly this will be sorted once for all :)

BTW ePer shows the same part number for the gearbox on 156 and 166 JTD 2.4 20V, 55353848

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
the 159 clutch and dmf are a direct fit for the 156/166.
alltough my clutch had only done about 30k km, it did start slipping again around 280ish hp. So i ordered a new original 159 clutch kit (cheap! like 125 euro) and send the plate to cg motorsport to make it a dual friction plate. This held quite well @293hp until i got bigger injectors after 10-15k km then the dual friction clutch also started slipping. We lowered torque in lower rpm's and it worked well for a couple of weeks until the engine blew.
When i pulled the clutch and dmf from the car the plate was pretty worn and the rivets holding the ceramic parts were touching the dmf , so it had very deep groves in it.

there is no use for the 159 f40 gearbox , ratios are the same , just the height of the axles is different.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finally! Thanks, really BIG thanks! :) :thumbup:.
So definitely the 159 dmf/clutch is better than the oem, I doubt I'll reach that power with stock internals, I was looking for 230ish, but what I really want is more torque!
And, what's even better, it's cheaper and easier to find!
Did you use all parts from the 159 clutch kit? Pressure plate and concentric slave cylinder?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts