Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All..

I have a very small oil leak (1/2 teaspoon) on top of my bell housing. Just below the transmission casing.
It looks and smells like brake fluid and collects in a little pool as you can see. About 1/2 teaspoon. However, I have no idea where it is coming from. There is a little 5mm hole, about, just above it, circled in red. Should this have a rubber bung in it or a screw?...I can see a thread inside. Has something gone astray?

The only other part is the rod...maybe this has a leaking seal? The brake/clutch reservoir is down by about 0.5 cm so it is leaking a bit...however have not put any in, in the 35k miles I have owned it..

Any help is greatly appreciated,

M

Attachments

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
If it was an Alfa, I'd say it was a leaky slave cylinder on top of the bell housing.. These are known to fail and produce a bit of a mess of brake fluid in the area....

Don't recognize that release mechanism though... Not sure if that's because the Saab gearbox/clutch unit is different, or because I'm used to the right-hand drive version! How does your clutch pedal feel when you press it?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it was an Alfa, I'd say it was a leaky slave cylinder on top of the bell housing.. These are known to fail and produce a bit of a mess of brake fluid in the area....

Don't recognize that release mechanism though... Not sure if that's because the Saab gearbox/clutch unit is different, or because I'm used to the right-hand drive version! How does your clutch pedal feel when you press it?
Mine is a RHD. Clutch feels fine.....as in the same it felt when new to me at 70k miles. Have since had a response from Saab forums who say this looks like gearbox oil and a missing plug/screw. They are sealed units and not linked to clutch/brake fluid reservoir...though it is down by 0.5 cm...just drove around today....50 miles and no drips...only seems to happen over a period of miles..like yesterday..over 200miles.

Thanks for the reply though....keep 'em coming!

M

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine is a RHD. Clutch feels fine.....as in the same it felt when new to me at 70k miles. Have since had a response from Saab forums who say this looks like gearbox oil and a missing plug/screw. They are sealed units and not linked to clutch/brake fluid reservoir...though it is down by 0.5 cm...just drove around today....50 miles and no drips...only seems to happen over a period of miles..like yesterday..over 200miles.

Thanks for the reply though....keep 'em coming!

M
UPDATE...

So had a go at replacing seal....

Managed to undo pinch bolt with gears locked in 4th......however, long story short, bottled it as Wife was trying to do the manual gears...first time for her in a manual, and I was shouting instructions to her through the bonnet/windscreen what to do...not helped by her left and right dyslexia and me only have one working ear....you get the idea.............. :D

To check the level is a real PITA as I have to remove wheel.....I have the new seal and will wait for some other works....just recovering from DMF and clutch change.....

So, question is...I reckon I am losing about a teaspoon of gearbox oil a week. So about 400 weeks until it runs dry?! What is the worst that could happen? Gears all feel the same.

Many thanks,

M

1 - 4 of 4 Posts