Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi
wife was driving gqv and panicked as ambulance overtook us she dropped accelerator hard and did not have car in gear.after revving it I imagine redline clutch came up and car slowly filled with burnt clutch smell.i got her to pull over and drove rest of way home .will this do any terminal probs or do others occasionally geta bit of clutch burn now and then.car drove home fine afters.oh and wife is strictly banned from driving gqv after severe ticking off.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Clutch smell, IMO, only comes if you're riding the clutch for prolonged periods of time. Not in neutral unless car was slightly in gear / grinding... Can't see it, either.

Probably be OK... :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
OK, Well hopefully it will have been a one off for your car and when you took over the clutch material may have had time to cool down. If you have a diesel like me you can also get a smell from the regeneration system that also smells like a clutch burn, as long as you have no slip when putting on the power I wouldn't worry.

·
Registered
406 Posts
seems to drive ok but added wear on clutch is a bummer
Firstly no jokes about women drivers OK ..that's got that out of the way !

Treating a clutch like that will sometimes..not always..put a "glaze" on the friction disc through rapid heating, thus making it less "grippy" a liable to subsequently slip. Best way to check is get everything up to working temp and find the steepest hill you can, do and standing start and change up sooner than usual with plenty of revs and see if you get slip.

Oh, and let the wife back behind the wheel :thumbup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts