1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
clutch bleed on 156 disaster. Looks like too much air not pumping fluid through
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttelracs1 View Post
I had a similar problem when I first bought my '01 jtd. Bled it for 20 mins and it was fine, in fact it took longer accessing the slave cylinder than actually bleeding it. Had to do it again last week and I was like you as I bled it due to the clutch pedal only returning half way and gears getting more and more difficult to engage.
I realised that when I was topping up the fluid in the brake resevoir, I was drawing in air as I had the bleed nipple on the slave cylinder too loose. Once I tightened it slightly and pumped the clutch pedal a few times with my hand as I had to pull it back up, I sorted it. Make sure you top up the brake fluid with a good quality version and also you'll know when you've done it correctly as the fluid being bled will be blackish and dirty in colour and only once you bleed clear fluid have you corrected it.
It's actually the seals inside the slave cylinder which contaminates the fluid, thus being unable to allow enough pressure to be applied to the clutch arm.
Good luck !
The above quote seems to be applicable to what I experienced today with my mechanic. The clutch had become a bit "floppy" at the top" inch and wasn't coming back after engaging. Was still ok but not as good as it was. I took it to my mechanic who decided to bleed it to repair the problem. 5 hours later ( no exaggeration as I was the one inside the cab on my hands and knees pumping the clutch pedal as he tried to pump the fluid through. The pumping didn't do this as it wouldn't pump through so he used a hand pump to try to push it through. This didn't work-we could see the air amongst the fluid as it tried to get through. The car is now in the garage worse than when it went in as now the clutch is totally without pressure-he's not an alfa mechanic but does a really good job looking after the car. It looks like there is air getting in somewhere and he's talking about opening the transmission to replace the slave cylinder, or baring that a new clutch. Any ideas would be helpful. Could it be that the bleed nipple is loose or something like he has suggested.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had the same problem, replaced the seals, and honed the slave cylinder first.Pumped the pedal, wouldn't bleed.
so resorted to using a crowbar to push the rod of the slave cylinder in, while opening the bleed valve, and then closing it, while it returned and sucked air and fluid from the master cylinder. Al lot of air came out. Did this a few times, pumped the pedal two or three times. right as rain

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We've replaced the master cylinder because my mechanic pulled it out and it had broken components, but then when replaced it's still sucking air. He got the clutch back but when he drove it back on the hoist it went again. He tried to bleed again and would get clutch then it would go. He's opening the transmission because he thinks both the master and slave have gone so we'll replace the slave. Has anyone experienced this and will this most likely fix the problem or could it be something else ( apart from a completely new clutch!) :depressed:

·
Registered
819 Posts
If the new master cylinder is sucking air in during bleeding, it might be the joint in the pipe between the master cylinder and reservoir (assuming your's has a joint there). It can, apparently, let air in. Mine now has a jubilee clip around the joint.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the new master cylinder is sucking air in during bleeding, it might be the joint in the pipe between the master cylinder and reservoir (assuming your's has a joint there). It can, apparently, let air in. Mine now has a jubilee clip around the joint.
Thanks Rt. We're replacing the slave cylinder this week but if that doesn't work I'll tell then mechanic about this possible solution. Cheers and much appreciated

1 - 5 of 5 Posts