Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the clutch has started to slip on my 159 2.4 Q4 so will have to look at replacing it.
I only managed to call one Alfa garage today (not official dealership) and was quoted £1,700 for clutch, dual mass flywheel which I understand it is advisable to do at the same time and clutch slave cylinder.

I was expecting £1000 to £1200 and was told that the 4WD system has added £200 to the bill so a 2WD would have been £1500. Has anybody else had this work done on the same car or 2WD 2.4 and if so, what did you pay? I will be ringing around more garages tomorrow.

It might be the time to sell the car soon with bills like this! :depressed:

·
Registered
330 Posts
I think the clutch has started to slip on my 159 2.4 Q4 so will have to look at replacing it.
I only managed to call one Alfa garage today (not official dealership) and was quoted £1,700 for clutch, dual mass flywheel which I understand it is advisable to do at the same time and clutch slave cylinder.

I was expecting £1000 to £1200 and was told that the 4WD system has added £200 to the bill so a 2WD would have been £1500. Has anybody else had this work done on the same car or 2WD 2.4 and if so, what did you pay? I will be ringing around more garages tomorrow.

It might be the time to sell the car soon with bills like this! :depressed:
this is possibly one of the best prices for a decent DMF and clutch (incl. Slave and DMF mounting bolts, judging by the pictures) at £550.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUAL-MASS-FLYWHEEL-CLUTCH-KIT-LUK-ALFA-ROMEO-159-939-2-4-JTDM-/231466265925?hash=item35e476ed45:g:slsAAOSwuYVWmOzG

let me break it down for you, DMF is circa £300-350. 'Concentric Slave Cylinders' from LuK are generally in the £75-£100 mark alone, this leaves around £100 ish for the clutch, which id expect to pay for any car at the 159s level.

you possibly could get cheaper elsewhere, but ask them how much they charge for labour if you supply the parts.

LuK is the trading name for the clutch/flywheel/belt segregation of 'Schaeffler' who make INA and FAG bearings. i personally find them to be of very high quality and a renowned company. other people may have their own thoughts or suggestions though

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Richy, it's always interesting to know what decent quality parts cost and what labour costs are. I assume that A/Romeo parts will be dearer and that's what he will be fitting? I can aways ask him.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Gulp. Hope lasts a little longer - just over 80k on my 2.4 Q4 and I don't know if it was changed before I got it 10k and a year ago.

Here's a genuine Alfa DMF/clutch kit - almost tempted to get one for stock (on the basis that I won't need the spares I have..)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Alfa-Romeo-159-Dual-Mass-Flywheel-Clutch-Kit-Slave-Cyl-2-4-JTD-Diesel-/301840680705?fits=Car+Make:Alfa+Romeo|Model:159&hash=item46471b4701:g:sXQAAOSw~gRVu0BM

Guy
im just going to point this out... that clutch friction plate is stamped 'LuK' by the looks of it.
http://webcat.schaeffler-aftermarket.com/web/javax.faces.resource/image/startpage/startpage_luk.png.xhtml?ln=de.incony.anteros.desktop this is the LuK Logo and if you look in the little oval inbetween the numbers you can make out the logo even if it is upside down

it stands to reason the DMF and release bearing would also be LuK.
Also note the release bearing is stamped with the General Motors logo. Probably used on late shape Vectras and early Insignias amongst others.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Thanks for the info Richy, it's always interesting to know what decent quality parts cost and what labour costs are. I assume that A/Romeo parts will be dearer and that's what he will be fitting? I can aways ask him.
he'll be fitting AR parts at that price i would have hoped. but AR parts arent made by AR... most brake components are Brembo, suspension arms (possibly more) are TRW. it would seem clutch and DMF are LuK. the fuel control and engine sensors will almost definately, without exception, be Bosch.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
im just going to point this out... that clutch friction plate is stamped 'LuK' by the looks of it.
http://webcat.schaeffler-aftermarket.com/web/javax.faces.resource/image/startpage/startpage_luk.png.xhtml?ln=de.incony.anteros.desktop this is the LuK Logo and if you look in the little oval inbetween the numbers you can make out the logo even if it is upside down

it stands to reason the DMF and release bearing would also be LuK.
Also note the release bearing is stamped with the General Motors logo. Probably used on late shape Vectras and early Insignias amongst others.
Interesting! That looks like £100 saved! I did note that SG Petch used to list this kit at £600 but if they ar identical why pay the premium!

Cheers & well spotted!

Guy

·
Registered
696 Posts
Phone round a few indies,
I had my 1.9 Clutch/Slave/DMF AND GEARBOX REBUILD (with bearings and cogs) replaced for £1900

£1700 seems a stupid amount, even if the 2.4 parts are more expensive (which I doubt) and the 4wd makes then even more expensive (Which I don't doubt)
how can Clutch/Slave/DMF still be in the same ballpark as a gearbox rebuild and those parts???

Shop around....

Axe.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to all for your help. I've spoken to another Indie since my first post and their price was £90 cheaper at £1610!:censored::shocked: I know that they (Alfatech at Hudersfield) aren't too pricey as they did the cambelt four years ago and were then the cheapest indie around here for that job then.
This issue has backed me into a bit of a corner and although I would probably go ahead and get it repaired, my wife prefers me to sell the car :furious::weeping: and get another which is what I've decided to do. That's the bad news.

The good news is I will get a Guilietta so will remain in the Alfa family even though I don't think it will be as nice to own. I have made a deal for my 159/Q4 with a local Alfa indie and they have agreed to buy it knowing about this fault. So it will be with much sadness that I will soon no longer own my 159 which I've had for 5 and a bit years.

AlfaReg

·
Registered
330 Posts
1600 quid for a clutch change... im going to come out of LCV and start on alfas...

i dont for one second believe it is a 20+hr job (20hrs at £50/hr = £1000 leaving £600 for parts) to change a clutch and flywheel even with a transfer box and the proper kit (lifts, g/box stand and clutch alignment tool)

did you ask about fitting only price if you supply the LuK kit?

Edit: Autodata shows its a <10hr job although theres no labour line regarding the transfer box

email these guys http://www.autocasa.co.uk/ even if its just to give you an idea of pricing

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks again to you all for your advice, but unfortunately as I said, I have done a deal at with the local Alfa dealership on a Giulietta so there's no going back.

I did speak to Alfatech about supplying my own parts and they said that I could do this but if they didn't fit/ were incorrect that I would be charged "ramp time" for effectively putting their ramp out of commission. Apparently this has happened before with people supplying their own parts, also there would be no warranty on the parts from them doing it this way. This would have brought the price down to about £1250 if I recall correctly.

I predict that we will now have lots of snow falling in the coming weeks. I live on a hill, and my drive is on a slope off the hill. Since I bought the Q4 we've had no more than a couple of dustings of snow where I live and I was looking forward to driving up the hill with (relative) impunity with a foot of snow on the ground......or at least that was my fantasy?

AlfaReggie.

·
Identity Confirmed, Authorised Trader
7,040 Posts
Shame you didn't try Auto Lusso. Fixed price here at £550 including VAT though I do suspect that excludes DMF.

Autolusso - Clutch replacement

Still exchange done now and have fun with your new car.
No that does not include flywheel or slave that is basic clutch replacement, on a 2.4 9 times out of 10 they need a flywheel witch is around £500

New flywheel alone from Alfa 55217581 is now £875.50 + VAT

Ned

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Thanks again to you all for your advice, but unfortunately as I said, I have done a deal at with the local Alfa dealership on a Giulietta so there's no going back.
AlfaReggie.
Sorry to hear you've given up on the car over one expensive clutch bill! I hope the dealer knows how rare the car is that they're getting and puts it right rather than just passing it on into the trade (or worse).

Still love mine! Try and find another!

Guy

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
SanRemo78 wrote;
Sorry to hear you've given up on the car over one expensive clutch bill! I hope the dealer knows how rare the car is that they're getting and puts it right rather than just passing it on into the trade (or worse).
I'm selling the 159 to an Alfa Indie. I think the only reason that he's bought it is because it is a Q4 and he does know how rare it is. They are apparently going to sort this clutch issue out and anything else before either keeping it for personal use or selling on.

Coincidentally the main dealer who I am buying the Giulietta from offered me a derisory price for the 159, which was later improved by £300 to upgrade the offer from derisory to pretty poor. They didn't have any appreciation for it's "rarity" and said to me that they would just send it to auction.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
That sounds like good news then, hope the new owner appreciates it! I'm not surprised that a main dealer would just send it straight to auction, it's too old for a forecourt now...

Hope you enjoy the Giulietta!

Guy

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
it's what they do. i got mine from a garage that takes all the cars that are over 3 years, old from a main dealer. they're just not interested.
happy new alfa.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts