Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everybody.
I have been noticing that the clutch pedal of my 156 has not a smooth functioning. When pressed, it goes a kind of heavy and the return of the pedal is a little slow. The clutch operation, as a whole, seems to be OK. No difficult engagements, assuming no fast gear changes.
My question is: How much should I be concerned? Is there servicing for this kind of problem? Better to change for a brand new one?
Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Could be a fluid leak somewhere, slave or master cylinder comes to mind for me initially. Leaks can be easy to check, see the level in the reservoir first, if you have been frequently topping up then there is probably a leak on clutch or brake circuits.

When was the clutch last bled and fluid replaced? If recently there could be air in the system. If not within a couple of years it is probably worth replacing.

I think the position of the slave varies from engine/gearbox type.

Otherwise issues with the clutch itself and other bits down there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could be a fluid leak somewhere, slave or master cylinder comes to mind for me initially. Leaks can be easy to check, see the level in the reservoir first, if you have been frequently topping up then there is probably a leak on clutch or brake circuits.

When was the clutch last bled and fluid replaced? If recently there could be air in the system. If not within a couple of years it is probably worth replacing.

I think the position of the slave varies from engine/gearbox type.

Otherwise issues with the clutch itself and other bits down there.
Thank you Mike for the assistance!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts